• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2016 Jun 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And see IF this works"..., you're kidding right? You are an Adobe sheeple and you want us to "try" this crap for you? Question: Do you own a computer? Are you honest enough to report the accuracy of this "try"? Billy

To: willie rogers <rogers518086@bellsouth.net>

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 1:19 AM

Subject: File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

created by TanviRastogi in Installing, Updating, & Subscribing to Acrobat - View the full discussionHi Ron Sorry for the issues you are facing.You would need Reader DC for viewing PDF thumbnail previews.You will have to make it your default PDF handler and then enable the preference to view thumbnail previews. If this doesn't work, can you please check if the following registry is present in your system: 

"EULA"=dword:00000001 You can check this by going to Start > Run > Regedit and search for the above registry. If not present, please create this registry and let us know if this works for you. ThanksTanvi If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8803283#8803283 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8803283#8803283 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Installing, Updating, & Subscribing to Acrobat by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had enabled 'Show thumbnails...' from inside Adobe Acrobat DC, but it made no difference. I added the EULA key in to my registry, and all the PDF thumbnails began loading! Finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned previously, same for me. It worked. BUT only for a few minutes. As time went on, all pdfs on my desktop (did not look elsewhere) turned solid black. I had to go back to third party. So maybe this is progress, but not the fix.

~Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2016 Jun 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thumbnails now working since latest update but are quite slow to generate and task manager says process Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32bit) and using 55% cpu ?

Is this correct with Acrobat dc Pro on a 64 bit system ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was gonna let you know, I was able to get it to work, but not 100% sure of the exact steps I took.... I did something like this.

Install Adobe Reader DC. ( Already have Adobe Acrobat DC )

In Adobe Reader, Set preferences to show Thumbnails in Explorer. Restart.

Installed this... https://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/     

Uninstalled Adobe Reader DC.

in Adobe Acrobat, Preferences>General> Unchecked Enable PDF thumbnail preview > Restart

in Adobe Acrobat, Preferences>General> CHECKED Enable PDF thumbnail preview > Restart

For whatever reason, after that it has been working well for me now for about a week or more with no issues. It doesn't have to regenerate the thumbnails every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll have a look. Adobe needs to provide an update to fix without messing around - I do appreciate your advice on this though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a brand new computer

Running Windows 10 64bit

Fresh install of Acrobat DC

Enabled the option to show preview thumbnails

..... NO THUMBNAILS.....

If it doesn't work with a fresh computer and a fresh install, then when will it work?

I guess this issue was not fixed in the October 2016 release...

Back to Foxit etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new computer running Windows 10 and Acrobat Pro DC Version 2017.009.20044 and the preview works fine.

Just have to make sure that in the File Explorer under the View tab the Preview Pane option is highlighted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on this MAC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a mid 2012 MBP/OSX 10.12.4 running Acrobat DC 2017.009.20044

There is no problem rendering PDF thumbnails, although some larger files (20 MB +) take a while.

One trick I have is to select the icon and press the spacebar for a preview, then press it again to see the thumbnail in the Finder.

So let me know if that helps and if your version is the same as mine.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with Windows 10 and no previews for a couple of years now.

Must be beyond Adobe's developers' ability to fix, so maybe they could pay Foxit some money to come in and show them how to do it?

I've uninstalled my Adobe reader and will look at alternatives for their other software, as obviously the bean-counters higher up in the organisation don't see a drop in sales, so they don't think it's an issue. Perhaps the core-workers in the organisation are embarrassed by this situation but their hands are tied?

Of course there are many new users every day of Adobe software, so there must not be enough users uninstalling the software to have any net impact on their bottom line, hence the lack of motivation by the PEOPLE in the company to fix what is a majorly annoying, and in some cases, work-flow slowing/efficiency sapping bug with a feature that is normally highly utilised.

Amazing, reminds me of the good'ol'days of IBM, who moved at the rate of a giant Tortoise and frustrated many who ended up buying machines from agile companies like Compaq and other clone manufacturers.

Good on you Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO IT DID NOT FIX IT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This topic is locked due to age and numerous replies. If you are still having an issue with thumbnails, open a new topic and provide the pertinant details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines