• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Repository for ConnectorIcons is growing; how to manage?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reviewing our virtual desktop user profiles, we are finding a new cache of files that we need to manage and delete due to our roaming profile performance.  In \AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ConnectorIcons, we have a stash of  "thumbnail" bmp files that are averaging 81kb each.  It appears that these files are not being managed/deleted in a timely manner.  How do we do that automatically versus manually deleting them?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.  We don't have that tick box enabled or really use IE11. However, starting with the ideas from the above script I did some more research/experimenting with powershell and successfully used the following to clear the contents (only) of the ConnectorIcons folder from all user profiles, freeing almost 20Gb of space.

Get-ChildItem C:\Users |%{Remove-Item -Path "C:\Users\$_\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ConnectorIcons\*" -Force -Recurse}

The above example remove

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In which version of MS Windows is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

You can use command line , something like this :  

forfiles /p “C:\Users\-\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ConnectorIcons” /m *.bmp /c “cmd /c del @path”

See more herehttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/51054/batch-file-to-delete-files-older-than-n-days

Or, execute the Forfiles.exe program by opening the Task Scheduler as Administrator --> Action--> Create Task---> assign a Name for your action in the General tab--->> go to the Action tab---> click on New-->>New Action;  copy and paste the forfile.exe  script in the Program / script blank provided by the dialogue box. Click OK,---> and click OK once more--->>click Yes when prompted if " Do you want to run forfiles.exe with the following arguments" message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add to make sure that in this line C:\Users\-\AppData\     <<------  to substitute the dash that I placed in there with the current user account name for that directory path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I would much rather prefer a method to disable these files from saving locally versus cleaning up Adobe’s unwanted thumbnails. It really should be an option versus automatic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

have you got find a solution to disable this files from saving locally ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe Acrobat the only application that is writing a cache of thumbnails to this folder, or is it happening with other programs too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stephane47- No one from Adobe has responded.  @ls_rbls- just Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just deleted all bitmap files from it and renamed the folder.

Acrobat is not acting out and  so far, after I renamed it nothing seems to be writing files to that folder 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++Update ,

Deleting the ConnectorIcons folder doesn't do anything. It recreates itself everytime you startup the Acrobat application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you solved the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The batch script is what works for me and run it as a scheduled task periodically.

From what I read before this folder needs to exist and it shouldn't be deleted. 

I am going to continue to research about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, was there any further answers on this one please. In a Windows remote desktop server environment with 60 users...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently not a lot of users have or are experiencing this.

I am surprised to see that about a year later it is still happening.

What happens if the  you disable Thumbnail Preview in Windows Explorer, amd also disable the following:

• in Security (Enhanced) preferences disbale Protected Mode at Startup (Preview)
  • and if the Internet Explorer 11 has the Adobe PDF Maker ads-on installed, disable too and test again.

These are the only two ideas that I can think off, aside from messing around with registry hives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.  We don't have that tick box enabled or really use IE11. However, starting with the ideas from the above script I did some more research/experimenting with powershell and successfully used the following to clear the contents (only) of the ConnectorIcons folder from all user profiles, freeing almost 20Gb of space.

Get-ChildItem C:\Users |%{Remove-Item -Path "C:\Users\$_\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ConnectorIcons\*" -Force -Recurse}

The above example removes from all user profiles with the $_ entry and takes some time. I'd say test first with a single profile (TESTUSER) in my example and check the results first. Cheers, David.

Get-ChildItem C:\Users |%{Remove-Item -Path "C:\Users\TESTUSER\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ConnectorIcons\*" -Force -Recurse}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!

Thank you for sharing that script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nickel, ç'est exactement la solution que je recherchais. Merci !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don’t know if it’s possible on a Windows computer – on my Mac I just emptied the folder and then locked it (I don’t use the Previous Files option).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines