Fill & Sign: 'operation failed... unknown error'

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to use the 'Fill & Sign' tool with a PDF file auto-generated by my accounting software, and am getting the Adobe error 'The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error.'  Interestingly, I have found that if rather than allowing the software auto-generate the PDF, I choose the 'Print to PDF' option, I can successfully use the 'Fill & Sign' tool.  Is there anything I could possibly look to in the file properties that would indicate why I get the error on one but not the other?  FYI, using Acrobat Reader DC versoin 2020.009.20074.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting... because I receive contracts via email from different contacts regularly that I have to fill and sign, and often get this same error.  But, I've noticed that I always get this error with bus contracts, and never hotel contracts.  I can tell by the formatting of the contracts that the different bus companies must use the same software, so this would explain it... The problem must be that their software, which generates the contract as a PDF, creates a flawed document that can't be signed.  Hey Adobe people... this is a BIG problem, because the whole point of the contract is to get is signed on the other end!!

And the vendor doesn't know it's a problem, it's negatively affecting the recipient!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same error for some of the files not all. cannot figureout why. adobe please guide

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have online subscription to Acrobat DC and so am assuming I have the latest version. Created fillable form for job that is sent to me for review and fill & sign. Sometimes I can fill & sign incoming PDFs with no problem. Other times, when I sign, an error msg pops-up saying "The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error." Very frustrating. Is it a browser choice, software, hardware, or user issue? Would appreciate resolution as it is seriously impacting job performance. I think this issue started last year or maybe 2019. The fact that I can sometimes sign tells me the issue is on the end of the sender.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines