• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable form. Active field is filled with black. Can't see what you are typing.

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When choosing the option "Replace Document Colors" Acrobat always fills in the active (blinking cursor) text field with black. The user cannot see what they are typing, and they do not want to change their text to white just to be able to see. Users here like to change their background to yellow. This has worked fine in Acrobat Pro 9, 10, and 11. But since upgrading to Acrobat Pro DC 17, the users can no longer change their background color because it blacks out their textfields as they are typing. After deselecting a text field, it no longer is filled with black. Only when editing a field does it turn black and unreadable.

Anyone having similar issues?

Thanks

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Yes, had the same issue and got the answer here. In preferences, adobe screenshot.png unchecked the replace document colours inaccessibility and problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the Accessibility preference settings you are applying that cause this issue?

Also let us know what Operating System (and version) you are on. E.g. Mac OS High Sierra, Windows 10.

I'm unable to simulate it (Mac OS High Sierra) with a test text field I created in Acrobat Pro DC form (Continuous Release |  Version 2018.009.20050):

1. I can see the field highlight colour in the form (Preferences > Forms has settings to adjust these colours).field-highlight-colour.png
  2. I can see the yellow text on black background as I type.field-active-typing.png

I tested with the following settings:accessibility-settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7. Adobe Acrobat Pro 17. 2017 Release (classic) | Version 2017.011.30070. Checking for updates says no updates available.

Screenshot of preferences. I also noticed you did the opposite of what I was saying. The background is set to bright yellow, and the text is black. It is easier on the eyes for our employees and is why they choose to change the background from the harsh white and black contrast. Setting the background to yellow forces the text fields to turn black, thus the user cannot see what they are typing.

adobepref.PNG

This is what the user sees when they click on a text field and enter information.

pdfblack.PNG

As you can see. My text is not legible and I do not know what I am typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our entity is having the same issue with our fillable forms.  Our users have the background to yellow with black text for easier read and to ensure the document is a text searchable document.  We are migrating ALL staff over to Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 and this problem is coming up for our staff and outside users required to use our fillable forms.  We really need an answer to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had that same issue. It sounds like there still hasn't been any resolution. My workaround has been typing on a Word doc and then cutting and pasting into those boxes. It's a pain, but it's better than crossing your fingers, hoping that you don't have a misspelling or typo and have to go back to fix it without being able to see what you're doing. And I using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just figured it out! Yeah! Because that was really bothering me. If you go to edit...preferences...accessibility...uncheck the box for "replace document colors". I feel as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.  So happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you thank you.....!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does this correct your issue? If I uncheck the box for "replace document colors" then my page background goes back to white, defeating the purpose of this post.

Replace document colors has to be checked in order to avoid the white and black contrast. Users here want their background yellow and their text black. Unchecking replace document colors just resets adobe back to default settings which have always worked from the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand it, the replace document colors functionality works for the document, but not for Annotations (such as form fields). So, what you can try is to change the fill color of the field to transparent, and/or to yellow, and see what happens now.

You might also deactivate the Hover color in the Forms tab of the Acrobat Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I change the fill color of the field to transparent? I see no fill color in Adobe preferences.

Deactivating "Show border hover color fields" does not rectify the issue either.

I appreciate the attempt though! Any other suggestions would be great.

And as far as "This is not a good way to get in touch with Adobe." I have been in touch with them directly, and they were unable to give me an answer. It is also awkward that this has gotten over 2,000 views with no answer, and there is still nothing from Adobe reps.

When I design forms for our internal users, I ensure I set the fill color / background of all fillable fields to white, to ensure our users can see it. But I should not have to engineer a solution from the ground up and make a form from scratch. There is no reason why Adobe Acrobat should ever fill a fillable box with ALL black. That just does not make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!  thank you for this post.  you have lifted a great weight off my shoulders too!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION: go to Properties > Appearance > Fill Color - make fill color white.

@taylorr99346932

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 11.03.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still not a solution to this problem. Surprised not a single Adobe rep has commented on this, as I know this is a problem for many organizations. Most likely because they only care about AEM Forms, which do not have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if there is a confusion about these forums.

These forums are "user-to-user", where users more experienced in a topic help users with less experience in that topic. There are people from Adobe following the forums, but they very rarely comment. Therefore, these forums are not a channel to pass things to Adobe, or to get in touch with Adobe representatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Begging your pardon, but the URL includes adobe.com so are you telling us Adobe isn't involved in this forum? Now that's helpful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what program or OS that is. Is that Acrobat for Mac? But there is no option to change "fill" color in  Acrobat 17 for Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, thank you so much for figuring that out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, had the same issue and got the answer here. In preferences, adobe screenshot.png unchecked the replace document colours inaccessibility and problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Was going nuts.  Your solution worked.  Thanks!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I was having the same issues, but could'nt find the same settings from the below screenshots, but I did change the colour of the button on Roll Over Off, under appearance in the checkbox settings. Now it's working fine. Prints without any issues. 

Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 14.15.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just want to share another solution. When I first came across this post, none of the answers resolved the issue for me but I found another workaround that could be helpful: From Acrobat 'Prepare Form' tab on the Left select your text field, click more tool, click 'show field properties', then under Appearance you can easily customize the fill colour or select transparency of your text box.
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 11.56.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-10 at 11.51.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-10 at 11.52.02 AM.pngHope this is helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had charcoal fields all of a sudden in my form fields (Acrobat X Pro) which made it difficult to read, plus hard on the eyes.  I could not get any of the solutions here to work for me, but I finally ended up in Preferences>Forms and clicked on Fields Highlight Color which took me to the color picker where I selected Other Color.

This took me to the Color palette. I went to an old computer, opened an Acrobat file which had the Original Acrobat Blue field color and did the same steps as above.  I got the settings from that computer and entered them on my current computer.  It worked.  My old faithful Original Acrobat Blue field highlights are back!  Before I left the Color palette, I clicked Add to Custom Colors, so those settings are saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On MacOS Acrobat, they completely fail to pass the color from the color picket to the acrobat object.
For choosing a fill color for a comment object (rectangle) > on the comment tool bar, click the fill color and change it prior to placing the rectangle. 

Alan33199231dp4l_0-1698360941605.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines