• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable Form Running Slow Due to Calculations

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fillable form with roughly 100 fillable fields.  Out of those fields, 18 fields contain calculated values (averages).  The form is running extremely slow when switching between fields even if the current field is not involved in any of the calculations.  Sometimes it takes 7 seconds to switch between fields.  This obviously wont work with a form that contains 100 fields.  

If "Automatically calculate field values is turned off" the form works like it should with no lag time when switching fields.  Is there any way to force all of the calculations to happen at the same time so that automatic calculation can be turned off and there wont be lag time when each field is filled. 

Is there another option for speeding up the file?  I'm not familair with coding in javascript.  

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a button for the calculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

If you move you calculation to a Document Javascript, this makes it callable from each form field, you could then move your calculation to the validation step of your fields, the advantage of doing this is that the validation only runs when the field you are editing is included in the calculation, meaning the calculation might change, but not when any other field is change. This might help, although if it is a large calculation then Bernd Suggestion above would be the way to go.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, Malcolm.  I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to creating these forms and I have no experience with writing in javacsript. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do that?  I know how to add a button, but I dont know how to make that button perform the calculation function.  Could a single button perform all calculations at once?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use all calculations at the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How is that done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time you change the value of any field in a file it triggers the calculation for all the fields in it, even if they have nothing to do with the field you changed. However, 18 calculated fields is not a lot at all, so that suggests to me there might be some other issue there. Forms with hundreds of calculated fields usually suffer from lags, yes, not to have issues with 18 fields is not usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking the calculations were the issue because the lag issues stopped when the automatic calculation was turned off.  What else could be causing the issue?  Many of the fields have formating rules to ensure the numbers have the correct amount of digits behind the decimal.  Would that slow the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's probably the issue, but the question is why is it happening.
What kind of calculations did you add? Did you use any scripts? If so, what's their code?

Can you maybe share the actual file with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calculations are all simple addition and averages. I havent used scripts because I do not know how to code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having issues with adding calculations to my form documents.  Every one has the same issue with running slowly when autocalculate is enabled.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines