• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable Forms text box is blue - can I make them white?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a Fillable form using text boxes and it works well in the preview except that all of the text boxes are blue. I would like my users who are going to fill out the form to not see the blue text boxes; the text boxes should just look white/transparent (like nothing is there) until they put their cursor in the answer area.

Does anyone know how to edit/fix this? I'm not a proficient user of Adobe so I may be making newbie mistake!

Thanks.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Hi Staceyleepd,

Text boxes are blue it is not a form property, it just a highlighting feature of Acrobat/Reader to give a user an idea those are fillable.

If you print the form they will turn out to be normal with white background. To check Launch Acrobat/Reader , click Edit>Preferences> Forms, Highlight color   "Fields highlight color." You can change the color and if you print the color doesn't have any impact. You can turn it off by un-checking the preferences  "Show border hover color for th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

No, it's this:

app.runtimeHighlight = false;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Staceyleepd,

Text boxes are blue it is not a form property, it just a highlighting feature of Acrobat/Reader to give a user an idea those are fillable.

If you print the form they will turn out to be normal with white background. To check Launch Acrobat/Reader , click Edit>Preferences> Forms, Highlight color   "Fields highlight color." You can change the color and if you print the color doesn't have any impact. You can turn it off by un-checking the preferences  "Show border hover color for the fields. "  

Hope that answers your questions. Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tariq,

You are asking us to ask all our users to go and change their settings.

Changing the settings on my machine won't make it look good on the OPs.

I just spent an hour with someone on Adobe chat and literally the suggestion they had for me was to delete the text fields.

You can't change it, they'll always be blue, they'll always look horrible, Adobe know this and aren't going to fix it.

I promise you. You can't do it so you can distribute it out to people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily do it. It's possible to embed a simple script in your file that will disable the fields highlighting in any computer it is opened on. The problem with doing that is that it will also apply for other files, which the user might not like, so it's a good idea of at least informing them (or better yet, ask for their permission) when doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't sound particularly desirable, especially if you are sending out files to clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what would be the desirable outcome in your eyes, exactly? You don't like the color, but you don't want to disable it... You can check if that option is turned on and if so present the user with a notification that for an optimal viewing experience they should disable it.

And there's more than one option. The user can enable or disable it, and they can change the highlight color to something else, if they wished to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be desireable is for the property of weather or not the fields are highlighted in blue was by default unique to the document and not determined by your reader settings.  That would would sove the problem.  Is this possible????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be desireable is for the property of weather or not the fields are highlighted in blue was by default unique to the document and not determined by your reader settings.  That would would sove the problem.  Is this possible????

By @DLoria

I agree, but that's not the case. The best you can do it to embed a script in the file to change the global setting when the file is opened, and then change it back to its original value when it is closed.

However, any other file opened while your file is open will also be affected by this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67 I am trying to remove the blue highlight globally for any user that opens the document. Could you please provide the script and instructions for how to do this? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code is posted down this thread. You can place it under Tools - JavaScript - Document JavaScripts, but please read the full thread carefully! This change will affect all files the users opens, not just yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67 Thanks so much! Is there any code to remove the blue highlights when the pdf is viewed in a browser by any chance? A lot of people have their pdfs default to open online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing special for browsers, no. If the code posted above doesn't work then it's probably not possible. It will depend on the browser, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a personal choice. That‘s why it’s a preference. Tell your users how to change it and if they share your dislike they can choose their own colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a choice if there is only one option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are options to set the highlight and fill colors used as well as having the highlight fields on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its amazing i get exactly what youre sayign tand they dont. We want the option to create a form field without a blue highlight but has total functionbality. We want the decision on our end and if the user wants to see it they can choose that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How hard would it be for them to let us edit the highlight color of form fields!? Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it already, under Edit - Prefs. - Forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would only change the color for ME. I want to create a document that gets sent to many other people and the blue clashes with the overall pdf color. There is no way for me to make it orange and stay that way when other people open the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to do it by embedding a script into your file that changes this setting, but I would strongly recommend against it, as it will also affect all other files the user opens.

The code to do it is this:

app.runtimeHighlightColor = color.red;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've actually used this code but now I want to go back to it being the original blue. How can I do this? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the same location under Preferences and change it back.

The original color used is the third from the right on the bottom row of the colors table.

Or you can do it by running this script from the JS Console:

app.runtimeHighlightColor = ["RGB",0.666656494140625,0.75,1];

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whats the code to turn off the highlight all together "app.runtimeHighlightColor = false.;"????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's this:

app.runtimeHighlight = false;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines