Highlighted

Fillable forms

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a fillable PDF from a word document, and have the following questions:

1) Can someone who does not have Adobe open the PDF?

2) Can someone who does not have Adobe type their responses into the PDF and print it? If so, will the printed PDF contain their typed responses, or will it print with the fields blank?

3) Can someone who does not have Adobe type their responses into the PDF and save it? If so, will their saved PDF contain their typed responses?  

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Thom Parker | Adobe Community Professional

The answer is yes to all, but with limitations.  

PDF is an ISO standard. So any  compliant viewer can be used to view your form and fill out the form fields. Such a viewer will save the filled PDF form and print it with all it's data. 

The problem with many viewers and PDF creators is compliance.  The makers of these veiwers/creators simply don't implement according to the official PDF specification.  A couple of major examples are the Safari and Chrome PDF viewers.  Also pretty much any mobile viewer. So, if someone opens your form in one of these sad viewers, there is no guarentee that form filling will work. 

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Fillable forms

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a fillable PDF from a word document, and have the following questions:

1) Can someone who does not have Adobe open the PDF?

2) Can someone who does not have Adobe type their responses into the PDF and print it? If so, will the printed PDF contain their typed responses, or will it print with the fields blank?

3) Can someone who does not have Adobe type their responses into the PDF and save it? If so, will their saved PDF contain their typed responses?  

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Thom Parker | Adobe Community Professional

PDF is an ISO standard. So any  compliant viewer can be used to view your form and fill out the form fields. Such a viewer will save the filled PDF form and print it with all it's data. 

The problem with many viewers and PDF creators is compliance.  The makers of these veiwers/creators simply don't implement according to the official PDF specification.  A couple of major examples are the Safari and Chrome PDF viewers.  Also pretty much any mobile viewer. So, if someone opens your form in one of these sad viewers, there is no guarentee that form filling will work. 

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2020 1
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much, I appreciate your response greatly! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to fill up

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe Reader

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Thom can I ask you. I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. In the past I have been able to complete PDFs with this program even if they are not fillable (I think they are called flat forms). I click on the `fill and sign' and then a blue box usually appears which I type in. LIke this

Jelgoon1961_1-1589254642494.png

However, I have noticed that when I try typing in these blue boxes, no words appear. Is that normal? Could it be they have been protected? The below message appeared when i opened the form - i then clicked enable editing

Jelgoon1961_0-1589254550337.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forms that conform to a particular standard cannot be changed in such a way that the standard is broken. This is why Adobe is blocking you from making this particular change. You can however "save as optimized" to break the standard compliance.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thom, hope you don't mind me jumping in this with questions a month later-- According to your explanation, Safari, Chrome, and generally mobile PDF viewers won't be able to view and edit my Acrobat-made form in a compliant manner. How then do more compatible PDF's get built? Other PDF builders? I'm thinking government files, Hospital forms-- all have fields that are generally editable on most platforms they are found on, including on mobile.

For context, I'm trying to create a simple one page PDF that users can drop an image into an image field (designated with a placeholder icon I've inserted), then enter their name in a text field overlayed on top of it. When viewing in Safari, Chrome, or Apple's Preview, the image field (or rather, the placeholder) is invisible unless I click and hold on it. I am unable to drag and drop an image in. The placeholder text is there, with Auto set for the size font, but when I click on the field and type in it, the text changes to something incredibly tiny, like Helvetica 12pt or something. I imagine there are lot of different issues occuring here but I would love your insight. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ensure your users are using Acrobat to edit the PDF.  You've done the test so you know the browser PDF viewers don't work for your purpose. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is very helpful in explaining why my form does not work in Chrome and Safari.  Firefox has the good grace to say the form won't work and redirects user to open with another browser or to save the file. The save function delivers a fully functional form on a windows operating system.

But on a mac, the submit on the downloaded form does not work.  I am a novice and used the Execute a menu command with Mailto: ?  Perhaps the Mac OS needs a different action to work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What viewer on the Mac? It's all about the PDF viewer.  If it doesn't implement a particular type of script/action, then that viewer won't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0