Highlighted

FINALIZING PREPARE FORM DOC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. This is probably a really basic question, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I was sent a form doc to open and fill out in Adobe Acrobat. I am running the latest version.

Problem is, once the doc has been filled out, the only way I can see the text is in Prepare Form mode. When I close the doc and open it normally, the form appears blank - until I open Preapre Form again. 

I can't print it either, as it appears blank.

Q: Do I need to "finalize" or "flatten" it somehow? Is there a setting I need to change to allow this doc to be seen as a standard read-only PDF?

Thanks very much! I work for a university and their IT dept is swamped and has not been any help,

Best - MP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FINALIZING PREPARE FORM DOC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. This is probably a really basic question, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I was sent a form doc to open and fill out in Adobe Acrobat. I am running the latest version.

Problem is, once the doc has been filled out, the only way I can see the text is in Prepare Form mode. When I close the doc and open it normally, the form appears blank - until I open Preapre Form again. 

I can't print it either, as it appears blank.

Q: Do I need to "finalize" or "flatten" it somehow? Is there a setting I need to change to allow this doc to be seen as a standard read-only PDF?

Thanks very much! I work for a university and their IT dept is swamped and has not been any help,

Best - MP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your form opened in Acrobat, go to file and select "Properties'.

Would you mind posting back and state what was the source program that created this PDF? 

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It's a USPS national form,m so I have no idea of the source, unfortunately.

I've looked in Properties, but don't think I know what I'm looking for?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your document opened in Acrobat, right-click on any area of the working space; select "Document Properties" from the context menu.

A dialogue box will open. 

In the first tab that is named "Description"  see down below the "Advanced" section, there is another sub-section named: PDF Producer.

That is where you see what software was used to create the PDF before it was exported

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

We are sorry for the trouble. As described you are unable to see the text in the form field except in prepare form mode.

++ Adding to the discussion.

Please open the PDF form and go to prepare form mode and double click on the text field to go to the 'Text field properties' > under General Tab, make sure form field is set to visible. As shown below:

Untitled.png

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both.

The origination software for the document was Adobe PDF Library 10.0.1.

Amal - I checked the text form properties and they are already set to visible - at least every one I've checked.

Still stuck, and appreciate the help. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the pdf file with us so that we can check it at our end for testing. Please upload the file to the document cloud https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/ , generate the link and share it with us.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the original form from the US Postal service.  It was created using Adobe InDesign CS6 for Windows, and distilled to Acrobat PDF (using version 1.6) .

Seems also that the file you've shared is not the original file. It looks like it was postscripted (or flattened) and then all the fields were added automatically  during the PDF optimization.

Even though the original file seems to have some design errors I didn't get the issues that you're describing when filling and printing these forms.  The form that you shared also has duplicated field names.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say to either apply updates to your current version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (if this is what you're using) or click HELP --->>> "Repair Installation"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 1