Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font not available or can't be used in editing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody

I've reviewed the forums and have also been in touch with Adobe Support on this directly. But no solution as of yet. Would be grateful for any guidance.

I've just purchased Acrobat DC because I wanted to be able to edit PDFs. The file that I am trying edit is using the font:  "Officina Sans ITC Book".

However when I try to edit text in the file, it automatically defaults to a different font (Minion Pro) and a message pops up

"The original font Officina Sans ITC Book is not available or can't be used in editing. Adobe Acrobat DC is using the font Minion Pro in its place."

To resolve this, I purchased the "Officina Sans ITC Book" font package and downloaded it to my computer. It's working fine when I try to use it in Word. However, I still can't use it in Acrobat.

In the Adobe Distiller settings, the font is listed there as "always embed" under the "font settings".

Does anybody have any ideas? My company always use this font, so I need to find a way around this.

Thanks for your help

Conor

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Hi there,

Just come across this issue myself. Found a resolve, not sure if this will work for everyone. I was trying to edit a PDF that was using the Calibri font which I didn't have on my macbook. I then went and downloaded it using an external website but I couldn't use in it Acrobat. Acrobat uses fonts from 'Adobe Fonts' since the newest CC update. I found and downlaoded the font on Adobe Fonts and its now working.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Find your font on: https://fonts.adobe.com/

Make sure you are logged in.

Toggle "activate all fonts", once you've found the font you need.

Close all of Adobe products.

Make sure you are logged into creative cloud.

Restrart your PDF then finally try to edit your PDF again.

This worked for me! Good luck.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P‌DF editing is a desperate last resort and if these are company documents you should always find and edit the original but if that is absolutely impossible ( eg deleted, and backups eaten by termites) I have an idea...are you able to select the text then change it to that font (the same name but that would be the one in your computer - or to some other font and back again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thanks for your input. Sorry, but I don't follow the suggestion. When I try to edit any text in the document, I am unable to select the "Officina Sans ITC Book" option. It appears at the bottom of the drop down list of fonts, but is grey and "frozen out" - and can not be selected.

I'm looking at it again and it seems like the issue is that I have installed "OfficinaSansITCStd Book" installed, whereas the font I needed is "Officina Sans ITC Book".

I guess they must be different fonts! Very annoying. Will look into it.

Conor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often fonts change over time and the old ones are unobtainable. That's why I suggested CHANGING the font to the new one. It's likely to be very similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. How do I change the font to the new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, tried that. Doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Our college uses Myriad Pro Regular. I could edit this same document last year before my computer was updated this summer. Now I'm having this issue and I don't see any fix on this so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue. Did a recent Creative Cloud update and although Acrobat wasn't in the update, I now cannot type with Open Sans Condensed on the document that I just typed with that font in Acrobat last week. It's not just this font either. Word types with it fine, Fontbook says the font is fine. Acrobat will actually edit the text of the first line of my old document in Open Sans Condensed until I hit a carriage return then it gives me that same error message that the original font is not available and using Geneva in its place.  Very odd that font won't work. I downloaded a version of the font and re-installed, even changed the name of it, but to no use. Stuck in font prison and can't text my way out. Send help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever get a fix? I have the same issue. I have a PDF that I have to fill out 3 times (slightly different) every 2 weeks. Most of the info is the same. We just edit dates and times in about 30 different locations. I get, "The origianl font Arial is not available or can't be used in editing. Adobe Acrobat is using the fong Z@R9366.tmp in its place." Then instead of an actual font I have just squares. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fix found yet. Frustrating
--
Enjoy!

Jeff

[moderator deleted phone number]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, pitty there is no sulotion found yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue. This needs to be resolved. Adobe Support are you listening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey why Adobe can not resolve this? I need to edit the document in the same font as the original document but I can't. same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. i have downloaded and enabled the fonts. still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! Would love a response. I've downloaded and installed the fonts, verified them, and they work fine in word, but if I have to do a last minute word change in a pdf...can't do it. Have to go back to the designer/original to get this simple thing done. Costs time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem and found this thread.  I went to https://www.opensans.com/ and downloaded the font pack, Unzipped it and installed by dragging and dropping the files to Settings > Personalisation > Fonts

MrCraigB_0-1596670390981.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Just come across this issue myself. Found a resolve, not sure if this will work for everyone. I was trying to edit a PDF that was using the Calibri font which I didn't have on my macbook. I then went and downloaded it using an external website but I couldn't use in it Acrobat. Acrobat uses fonts from 'Adobe Fonts' since the newest CC update. I found and downlaoded the font on Adobe Fonts and its now working.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue.

What's particularly annoying is that the problem nearly always is with fonts fetched from Adobe Fonts. It nearly always changes them to Geneva when editing and typing over an existing document.

I wonder if this is an OpenType or TrueType issue? TTF seems to work ok.

I'm on Mac. Tried unsyncing and resyncing fonts with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens equally with any fonts obtained from anywhere. You would think that Adobe would have gone to the trouble of resolving this for their paying customers after so many years of this issue existing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the exact fonts exist on your system? I have this only with documents that have not been created by me recently on my machine.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not seeing the fonts in your applications (Acrobat, photoshop etc).
Go to Creative Cloud app > Preferences>  Service > Adobe Fonts and turn Font off and then back on and it will sync

syo44943699_0-1618178146936.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as everyone else. I am experienceing the same exact thing as @editbreath. It will allow me to edit one word but the second I move to another box it defualts to Geneva with the error message. Its ridiculous how many people have complained about this same issue and there still hasn't been a solid resolution. HELLO ADOBE?! ANYONE THERE?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked for me. I had added Garamond in Adobe fonts, exited out of all applications, with no dice. Then did this resync and now Garamond isn't greyed out on Acrobat, so easy but so so so stupid. Thank you for the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as everyone else. I am experienceing the same exact thing. It will allow me to edit one word but the second I move to another word or text or box it defualts to Geneva with the error message.

Its REALLY ridiculous how many people have complained about this same issue and there still hasn't been a solid resolution.

I have downloaded the font again to CC and installed it again, refreshed and synched the font again and again. Shut down adobe and the whole computer, restarted and still SAME EXACT ISSUE!!

ADOBE these are paying customers here.... are you even aware of the issue or should we start looking elsewhere for more reliable pdf editors and better customer service ????!!!! #adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines