Highlighted

font substitution while editing .pdf

Advisor ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've generated a .pdf from XML source, where a couple of Unicode glyphs are required.  Initial result: the conversion displays # instead of ✓ – something to do with the difference between Arial and Arial MT, I think.

So … I open the Edit tools: and get the unexpected message "Acrobat is using Kozika Mincho Pr6N R."

Question: when the original font (according to Acrobat) is Arial, why does Acrobat decide to use Kozika Mincho Pr6N R instead – why not Arial MT? and is there somewhere I can tell Acrobat "replace Arial by Arial MT"?

kozukaMincho.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

font substitution while editing .pdf

Advisor ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've generated a .pdf from XML source, where a couple of Unicode glyphs are required.  Initial result: the conversion displays # instead of ✓ – something to do with the difference between Arial and Arial MT, I think.

So … I open the Edit tools: and get the unexpected message "Acrobat is using Kozika Mincho Pr6N R."

Question: when the original font (according to Acrobat) is Arial, why does Acrobat decide to use Kozika Mincho Pr6N R instead – why not Arial MT? and is there somewhere I can tell Acrobat "replace Arial by Arial MT"?

kozukaMincho.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess; it looks for fonts offering as much as possible of the Unicode space needed. This is not a choice made for display, it's just the editor trying to help. Are you assuming that Arial includes the glyphs you want, perhaps because you see them in Word, rather than checking the font?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Advisor ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware that Arial doesn't contain the glyph I need, because I've been producing documents in this environment – no Microsoft products were harmed in this exercise, by the way – for a while now. Normal output is to WebHelp: no problem; exceptionally, I need to output a .pdf for review.

I'm still curious about:

• why Acrobat is opting to use a font I don't even seem to have on my PCnoFont.png
  • how I can ask Acrobat, nicely, to do what I want: that is, substitute Arial Unicode MS* for Arial :-}

* Arial MT gets a mention in the original post because that's what Illustrator "helpfully" puts in the code when all I've asked for is Arial; but that's a different question

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat doesn't pick a font it doesn't have, but the font might not be in Windows. This font presumably is picked because it contains the glyph. You can't influence this. But why are you even editing it? Is the PDF actually made wrong? If so, that's surely a fault in the PDF generation, not editing. How do you make the PDF from XML, and can you share the PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, and what is the Unicode point you use?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Advisor ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why the font needs editing" is an artefact from the .pdf production, indeed; I need to take another look at the conversion from DITA xml. The source file shows a check mark when I'm editing, and when I output to WebHelp: it's when I output to .pdf that I get messages about glyph not found.  As for "Unicode point", I haven't the faintest idea :-}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0