• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form drop down not populating second dropdown in any inline browser PDF viewers

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a fix for this issue? I have an acroscript using LiveCycle that when you select from one dropdown list it uses switch / case to populate a second list, only it works in a PDF reader but not if any browser opens it inline.

For an example, try opening the PDFs in the following page and drop down lists lose functionality.

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/js_list_combo_livecycle/

Thanks

Michael

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not controlling the PDF viewing experience, you can't control the behavior of forms in the browser. Take a look at Adobe Embed API for displaying PDF in the browser. It supports dropdown lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it support LCD forms, though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it matters that it's Livecycle.

I added the example PDF above to my site and loaded it inside the Adobe PDF embed API viewer and it gives the error message "This document contains some form fields that are not supported in the viewer. Please use Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill the form.".

Example: http://www.mejkaal.com/ListPrograming_Part1_AcroForm.html

I don't believe the PDF in the above link is Livecycle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand, however, all of the top browsers use an embedded API for viewing and I was wondering if this issue is related to Livecycle because the example I gave is a post from this form that also has the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No browser supports XFA-PDF forms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing is, that the example I gave in the link opens a PDF created in 2007 by Thom Parker and I don't believe THAT PDF is XFA. In fact, I believe it's just a PDF with simple Acroscript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be a bit more specific than that. Static XFA is "supported" by browsers that support AcroForms because the AceroForm fields are generally present. It's only the scripting that is not supported. No browser supports Dynamic XFA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No browser supports all AcroForms specifications.

Copy and paste this URL into Google Translate to find out the extent of the problem:

https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/ressources-et-tutos/js-et-formulaires-ressources/forcer-utilisation-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that but even the Adobe Embed PDF API doesn't support it and that is not browser dependent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact is that fully interactive and scripted PDFs are only supported by a small set of desktop PDF viewers. There's no getting around it. I'm sure that one day more viewers on more platforms like mobile and browser will support these features, but right now they just don't. Until that time you should either try to force users to use a desktop viewer, or develop the interactivity to target the intended platforms.  

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Thom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines