• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form field info not showing up, unless field is clicked?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been receiving PDF files with form fields that contain text. In the past, all the text is visible and if more text is in the box than visible, you get the scroll bar.

The last document I received, the text doesn't show up, until I actually click the field biox. Once I click the field, the text and scroll bar appear, but once I click off it disappears again? We cannot figure out why?

Does anyone know how or why this happened and what the fix is?

Thanks!!

babs

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

That works because it gets Acrobat to redraw the field appearance, which is the problem. Preview doesn't save the PDF correctly and field appearances can get corrupted. Importing the data back in causes Acrobat to redraw the field, partially correcting things.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What likely happened is someone used Preview on a Mac to fill-in and save the form. Preview is very buggy with respect to PDF forms. A quick fix of sorts is to export the form data to a file and re-import it. You can achieve the same effect automatically with a script, but this does not repair all of the damage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

Interesting....I will see if that is what they did!!!

I was able to fix the one I have for now, by actually going in and changing the font size in each field from 12 to 10? I don't know why that would work, but it did for this one.

But, I will tell the person who created it, not to use that preview as you mentioned and see if that does it for good 😉

Thanks!!

babs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works because it gets Acrobat to redraw the field appearance, which is the problem. Preview doesn't save the PDF correctly and field appearances can get corrupted. Importing the data back in causes Acrobat to redraw the field, partially correcting things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

Makes perfect sense!!!

I also did your export and import of the data and it worked great!!!!

thanks so much!!!!

babs 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I stop getting tons of these forum/support e-mails. None is related to my

own question, and on the Adobe site, I have been unable to find where to stop

getting all of the e-mails.

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

I am getting the same issue ..How do I export data  from the Acrobat Reader to a file? Can you please help me in the navigation.. I checked the menu but could not find that option.

And also from the Acrobat Pro DC do I need to do anything to restrict the end users not to fill in the preview mode using their MAC comupters?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Suneel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ibabs2

I am having the same problem.  Did you figure out what the problem was?  Do you think it is a setting on the creation end?  I have over 15 forms returned with no fields showing up.  Going in and changing the font is nearly out of the question for me.  What to do? glendaox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glendaox,

If your users are using Preview, it is most likely due to the problem we've been discussing. For an easier approach, you can use a script, such as the one discussed here: http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/script_to_fix_mac_osx_previewa.html

That particular script is less than ideal as it doesn't deal with fields other than text fields, and doesn't use the best approach then. If anyone is interested in a better script, let me know and I'll make it available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi glendaox,

George's solution using the export field data and the re-importing it only took a few seconds....It may be something at least for now?

babs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok; I'll try that. Was hoping you may have come up with a better fix by now! I'm asking someone today to answer those questions for me. If she is using a MAC and if she is opening it in the preview mode, that might be my answer. I will need to give instructions to my audience NOT to complete the form in the preview mode.

Many thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, George,

I'm a basic script user and writer, so bear with me. I'm assuming I put this script in the print function when I create the form?

I've asked the person completing the form today to let me know if she is using a MAC and if so, if she is opening it in Preview mode. This has happened often, but I haven't had the time to investigate the problem. We fund research in the biomedical sciences so the application and reporting forms are all PDF files I set up for applicants to complete. I don't work on a MAC but a lot of the institutions solely use MACs. They complete a budget form so I guess the script would not work for that form. I really do need a better fix. If you can help with a better approach I'd sure appreciate it.

Glenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, it is the Preview application that causes the trouble. Using the term "preview mode" might be confusing. The users should use Adobe Reader to complete and save the form.

The script I mentioned is not one you include in the document, but rather you install it on your machine. It simply allows you to easily process any such forms you encounter by providing a custom menu item that you use. It has installation instructions. You can also create custom toolbar button in a similar way to make it even easier.

I do have to clean up a few details with my script, but I'll a link to it here within a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, thanks for the clarification. I am incorporating an instruction for MAC users - which would have been incorrect. If they have only "Reader" on their MAC, can they complete the form and save it to their system? I thought they, like we non-MAC users, had to have Adobe Acrobat to save a file. (I need experience on a MAC, for sure). Will await the script, and thanks again.

Glenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader normally cannot save a modified form, but it can if you've added usage rights to the document with Acrobat: Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader. This is the preferred method. The script is just to make salvaging Preview-modified forms easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok; so I will start adding usage rights to my forms and using the

script, which hopefully will help. I'll also add in the completion

instructions that the user should (preferably) complete and save the

form using Adobe Reader (;)opposite of what I've been saying) or Adobe

Acrobat Professional. And, if they open the form through the "Preview"

application there may be problems with their and our ability to view

and/or print the completed form.

On my end, with the script, I still should be able to see and print the

form.

Now, here is the message I received from one user which seems to add

more confusion:

"I have definitely found something weird....When the files are opened

using either "Preview" or "Adobe acrobat Professional" they are both

open and complete as seen on the screen, but when I try to print them,

the forms will only print when I open them with Preview. They are

completely blank (apart from the forms themselves) when opened with

Acrobat (despite me being able to see the completed form, which includes

everything that I typed into the form, on the screen)."

This is a huge problem with interactive forms...I don't understand why

Adobe hasn't fixed it.

Please keep any words of wisdom coming; I can't thank you enough.

Glenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are free to email me a form, I can check it out to see if it's a problem with the PDF. My email address is in my profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,

Many thanks!

This is very helpful.  But does anyone know why Preview is able to open a fillable-form pdf and allow it to be filled in?  (When I try it in Preview, there are some limitations — e.g. you can't click on buttons or boxes, and it ignores fields defined as required.)

Is there anything you can lock on the pdf form to prevent Preview (or any other non Acrobat program - are there any?) from accessing these files and allowing a user to fill them in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are indeed other PDF viewers. Most do not support forms, but there are some that do a fairly good job. The best two are Foxit Reader and Nitro Pro/Reader. You may not want to exclude these.

You can use JavaScript to enable the fields when the form is opened in a JavaScript-capable PDF viewer. Another thing I've done is set up a button that displays a message telling the users that they have to use Reader (or the others mentioned above). The button gets hidden if viewed in a JavaScript-capable viewer. Otherwise it is shown and obscures the underlying form.

As to why Preview allows some form interactivity but ultimately botches things up, that's a good question for Apple. It's simply buggy. It would be better if it didn't pretend to work with forms until things are fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using Acrobat Pro, turn off Output Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using Pro, thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Glenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,

I really appreciate your help and expertise.  I am starting to understand this.

The Javascript option seems like it might be the best one for us.  I have written some Javascript, but have trouble getting my mind around how it works with something like this.  Would you have any examples you would be willing to share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blampyre,

I've mentioned more than one script here. What are you looking for, exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "solution" doesn't work for me either. Adobe Reader is the problem. It is opening PDFs as blank when the same pdf can be opened in Chrome or other applications completely populated. Clicking on the cells where there should be text doesn't reveal anything. This seems to be a new development in Adobe Reader; I haven't had the issue before today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, we've just started to see issues with our PDF forms not showing content when filled in by a client and then emailed to us. They have worked fine for years. The form has about 30 fields for text input. Clients complete the PDF form fields with plain text, but now only some fields show entered their text, and other fields appear empty until you click on them, and then text appears. This happens even where the text inputted is short (well within the form field size showing) and does not need to be scrolled down in the form to see. This is impossible to work with for us, as it's the same when you print the PDF form, so we don't have all the content from our clients to work with. Can anyone please offer any help as these PDF forms are a critical element in our training business now, having to work remotely due to Covid? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines