• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form Fields Showing and Printing Duplicate (Ghosted, Doubled)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone at our organization created a PDF with fillable form to send out. Some of them come back normal, but some come back showing the text entered in the fields duplicated or ghosted. I checked the original and there are no duplicated fields.

On my own computer, they look normal in Acrobat Reader, but when I print them all of the fields text is doubled, impossible to read.

The user can manually delete the text if they highlight and click delete.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

That's a clear indication that it was indeed filled in using something like Apple Preview (which is known to corrupt PDF forms in this way), Microsoft Reader, or something similar, like a browser PDF plugin...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new discovery. When I click on the field to fill it, I can see the duplicate text pop up.

After I change or delete the content of the field, the duplicate text does not change. It disappears when I click outside of the field, but when I print the PDF it shows both the text I entered in the field and the old duplicated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have multiple overlapping fields, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. If I delete the field entirely, the duplicate text disappears. Wish I could upload the form to prove it, but the document contains sensitive data and there is no way to delete it without deleting the entire field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another weird thing I just discovered: if I delete the field, then restore it with Undo (ctrl+z), then type in new text, the problem disappears for that field only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if you can find out what software they used to fill-in and save the form. My guess is it's not Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to think this is the problem. I'll try to find out but it's difficult. The form is sent out to thousands of people and just randomly come back like this.

The people filling out the forms know nothing about computers, they are not employees, and probably have no idea which program they used to fill it. I'm expecting 100% of them to say "I have no idea, just opened it and sent it back filled out."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to tell by seeing what Acrobat shows in the following when you open one of the problematic forms:

File > Properties > Description (tab) > Advanced > PDF Producer

See if it's different than the original blank form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you have Acrobat, you can try exporting the form data to a data file (FDF) and importing it into a blank form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and the form data indeed imports back into the blank form without any duplicates.

I'll pass this along as a workaround for the users for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a clear indication that it was indeed filled in using something like Apple Preview (which is known to corrupt PDF forms in this way), Microsoft Reader, or something similar, like a browser PDF plugin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that seems to be the issue. Thanks for your help guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this issue has been discussed here and other forums - specifially, iOS user signing and the result is ghosted images and no way to adjust the forms or even export without it still showing the duplicated / ghosted images. The solution is rightfully: hope users avoid the Quartz / iOS Preview / etc. However, if that's not an option: I had some gritty success viewing the file full screen (after adjsuting font size, etc. - things that might give interfact stuff like a plus sign) and then screen capturing it. Bigger / higher resultion screen the better. In my case, I was working with a lease and it's still tough. But we have enough now to print and proceed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines