Exit

Form Fields

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.

Two similar issues using the form wizard:

1) check boxes are defaulting to the square mark instead of the check mark. I can change one or a few at a time, but that is tedious. How do I set my preference so that, using the form wizard, all check boxes automatically default to the check mark when created?

2) in text fields, the font defaults to variable size and helvetica font. I can change one or a few at a time, but that is tedious. How do I set my preference so that, using the form wizard, all text fields automatically default to Ariel size 10 when created?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part reply. I very strongly advise that you stick with Helvetica rather than changing to Arial. There is NO REASON to make this change, and good reasons not to. If you still believe you do need to change it, please say why. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreeing with @Test Screen Name 

Fonts are copyrighted intellectual property, and we can't ship a complete font to someone who is typing in the form fields. So basically, unless the user has the exact font you specify (possibly including its version of the font), they won't be able to use what you spec anyway.

Bottom line: it's a waste of time to control the fonts used in the form fields because most likely the user won't have that font on the system. Just use the default font settings in Acrobat's form fields.

RE: #1, the default is an open square box, and when selected, it contains a checkmark in it. You can change the symbol to a circle or other character listed in Properties.

Once you have the checkbox form field formatted as you want it, right-click on the form field and select Use Current Properties as the New Defaults at the bottom of the menu. From this point forward, your checkbox will have your new settings.

Default Settings_01.png

AFAIK, there's not way to change all existing checkboxes in the PDF, but possibly it could be done with a script. Maybe one of our scripting gurus will chime in on that.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't change the default settings applied by the form fields detection wizard. You can change the fields' properties after they are created, though, either manually or using a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Fonts are copyrighted intellectual property, and we can't ship a complete font to someone who is typing in the form fields. So basically, unless the user has the exact font you specify (possibly including its version of the font), they won't be able to use what you spec anyway."

This is not correct, it is only true for fonts whose license prohibits embedding in a document (PDF or other) and which Acrobat Pro cannot embed. But these are not the most numerous.

I often make forms that use the client's corporate font.

Otherwise we agree that replacing Helvetica by Arial is useless since they are almost identical fonts.

Capture_157.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also technically incorrect. If the font is embedded in the PDF then the user doesn't need to have a version of it installed on their machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, and this increase the size of the document since the whole font needs to be embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Copy-paste this script in the JS Console, select all and hit the Enter key (Enter is not Return).

for (var i = 0; i < this.numFields; i++) {

var oFld = this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));
if (oFld.type == "checkbox"){
oFld.style = style.ch;
}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines