• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forms/buttons not compatible with mobile devices/Mac OS ?

New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I'm new to scripting with Adobe Acrobat DC. I wanted to create a short digital self test document (which I used to hand out in physical form), but while testing outside of my usual platform (Win10), I found that mobile devices (Android, iOS) and Mac OS X show multiple errors.

1) Mac OS X: I came up with a "quick and dirty" solution to show correct answers after attendees finished the test. By default, they should be hidden by setting "display.hidden" attributes.

On Macs, it doesn't hide those answers, which makes the whole test totally pointless (see attachment).

2) On mobile devices, there's a problem with browsers (and Adobe Acrobat, too, but not with certain 3rd party readers...), where I can't execute the evaluation script (all my buttons just won't work - in production, the only visible buttons should be "Start" and "Test abschließen", but they're all visible).

Any hints would be vary appreciated! I uploaded the original document as an attachment. Hopefully, you won't bother it being in German, since there are not too many buttons... 🙂

Felix

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , JavaScript , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're overcomplicating this.  If you want an app that's responsive and user-friendly on ALL devices, create your form in HTML and JavaScript, not a separate PDF.  HTML needs no special viewers or 3rd party apps.  Any browser will work.  Below is a working demo I made a few years ago.  Try it.

https://alt-web.com/DEMOS/Quiz/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work on a Mac if the users open the form in Adobe Reader or Acrobat, but not Preview, which has lousy support for PDF forms. Many mobile PDF viewers have little or no support for PDF forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's a big "IF" because nobody can guarantee your end users will have or use the stand alone Acrobat.

PDF has many practical uses, especially for printed documents.  But HTML5 forms will reach a wider audience.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not a scripter, but when I first downloaded it, it opened in Safari on my iPad. All of the answers with calculations were visible, but not those with option buttons.

I clicked to open the form in Acrobat for iPad and the calculations were not there. I could do the calculations in my head and enter the results and click the option buttons for the "what's next" section. Interesting that you use a colon : for divide. We use a forward slash / in the U.S.  😊 .

You won't be able to stop then from opening it a a browser. Hopefully a scripter will have an idea.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines