• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Functionality not working for specific user

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client has distributed the PDF I built for her to several beta testers and one of them is having issues. From what it looks like from the Loom video the tester recorded, there are SEVERAL features not firing and I'm happy to share the individual coding for any of them, but some highlights:

• There should be informational text in the fields that disappears when you click into them.
  • Whenever you choose a checkbox or radio box (they're styled the same, it's just that some sections only have you choose one thing while others let you choose more than one), there should be a light grey button that shows up next to the item you chose.
  • The summary box isn't populating with the text that should be triggered by selecting specific questions and also filling in the fields.
  • The reset button is hidden, but the user can still click it to clear the fields she'd put stuff in.

The user is on a Mac and originally used Preview to open it, but my client directed her to download and use Reader, which is what the Loom video was then shot in. Could the file have been corrupted by opening in Preview first? Is the solution to have her download it a second time and open directly in Reader?

Thanks for your help! If no one has any ideas, I will probably recommend the user download a clean copy and open it in Reader in case opening it in Preview first caused some kind of lasting damage to the code, but I am eager to hear what you all have to say! (This was tested on a couple different computers before sending to beta, but BOY am I glad this client wanted to beta first before selling the document!)

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, opening in Preview can cause permanent damage to a PDF, especially a form, but not only a form.  I observe too that the person making the video is using a truly, truly ancient version of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user said that she'd installed Reader v 11, so that's strange that it looked so old to you? But thank you, good to know that a clean copy of the file might do the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't open PDF files in Apple Preview! It damages the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew, I knew it would cause Javascript to not function as intended, but I didn't realize it would potentially cause lasting damage to the file when opened in another program. Pertinent information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I agree. It does seem to be Reader XI (11) or possibly X (10). But that is still ancient, just not really really ancient. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to expect users to be up to date with free software. Still, forms have changed only a little since Reader 8. What's new? Well, calendar pickers, I guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for the input, she mentioned installing it in the chain of emails with my client and I just assumed she was installing the latest version? Given that I'm on Acrobat, I can never tell what the Reader interface should look like, so I didn't pick up on the version at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines