Highlighted

Glyph problem with Adobe variable fonts

Engaged ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Adobe variable fonts in my InDesign documents and output to press-quality pdf with Acrobat DC, I get "x" boxes, also the same when inserting Alt-code glyphs such as ® and ™ in the variable font.  The font I am using with the problem is Adobe Myriad Pro.

Is there a work-around beside outlining?

Thanks,

Joe

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Glyph problem with Adobe variable fonts

Engaged ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Adobe variable fonts in my InDesign documents and output to press-quality pdf with Acrobat DC, I get "x" boxes, also the same when inserting Alt-code glyphs such as ® and ™ in the variable font.  The font I am using with the problem is Adobe Myriad Pro.

Is there a work-around beside outlining?

Thanks,

Joe

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Myriad Pro is not a variable font. Are you using Myriad Variable Concept? Or does this problem actually show with the regular OpenType font Myriad Pro?

2. Acrobat is not involved when you export a PDF from Acrobat. Does this mean you are printing to PDF? If so, don't. This is an obsolete way of working, with a potentially serious loss of quality and other things; we can get by with it, but trying to use a brand new type of font is asking for trouble.

3. What version of InDesign?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test, thanks for your response and please forgive my less than timely response back — had to face bigger problems. Yes, I was using Myriad Pro Variable Concept which gives the problem. When I go back to regular Myriad Pro, the problem goes away and all of the type looks the same on the pdf as the InDesign file. I am using whatever the latest CC version is. I always update when the update prompt shows up.

I export to press quality PDF to send to my commercial printer for his presses.

I appreciate your observations and thanks again for your response,

Joe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check your actual version and tell us - many problems happen because actually auto update did not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15.1.2 x64

The notifications are automatic, after which I update,

Thanks again,

Joe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0