Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble validating programmatically Digital Signature in a PDF

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
So as the title suggests, I'm trying to write Python code to validate digital signatures in PDF 1.6 files.
I read all the documentation I could find on the subject, but the truth is I can't understand how Adobe comes up with its signature.
Indeed, the signature part of the file looks like this :

397 0 obj
<</ByteRange[ 0 93895 98647 2347558]        /Contents<3082......0a000000...000>/Filter .....

When I manually decode the signature in the PKCS7 data I obtain a hash :

1446...78f2

But, when I hash the following data :

%PDF-1.6.....<</ByteRange[ 0 93895 98647 2347558]        /Contents/Filter....%EOF[0x0d0a]

I can't get the same hash (d2c9...02af)

Same goes for : %PDF-1.6.....<</ByteRange[ 0 93895 98647 2347558]        /Contents<>/Filter....%EOF[0x0d0a] with hash 96d0...3fb2

Can somebody help me figure this out ?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

1446...78f2

You have to take care when analyzing a PKCS#7 signature container, it may contain multiple digests, each with a different function.

The SignerInfo object in your signature container has signed attributes (aka authenticated attributes). Thus, the hash signed by the signature bytes therein is not the hash of the document in question but the hash of the untagged set of signed attributes:

SEQUENCE (2 elem)
  OBJECT IDEN

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you post this in the forum for Adobe Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my first post on this forum, where should I post this ? (I thought like, because Acrobat is the PDF reader, this was relevant)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can validate signatures in Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay cool so I'm right to post this here ? So why did you ask me why in the first place ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1446...78f2

You have to take care when analyzing a PKCS#7 signature container, it may contain multiple digests, each with a different function.

The SignerInfo object in your signature container has signed attributes (aka authenticated attributes). Thus, the hash signed by the signature bytes therein is not the hash of the document in question but the hash of the untagged set of signed attributes:

SEQUENCE (2 elem)
  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 1.2.840.113583.1.1.8 pdfRevocationInfoArchival (Adobe Acrobat security)
  SET (1 elem)
    SEQUENCE (0 elem)
SEQUENCE (2 elem)
  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 1.2.840.113549.1.9.3 contentType (PKCS #9)
  SET (1 elem)
    OBJECT IDENTIFIER 1.2.840.113549.1.7.1 data (PKCS #7)
SEQUENCE (2 elem)
  OBJECT IDENTIFIER 1.2.840.113549.1.9.4 messageDigest (PKCS #9)
  SET (1 elem)
    OCTET STRING (32 byte) D2C9C1B474BEE8C586A39001CF069CF6D44A65B27ADC701E7AC97AA9D94C02AF

The hash you are looking for is the value of the messageDigest signed attribute. It is the hash you calculated for the document

But, when I hash the following data :

%PDF-1.6.....<</ByteRange[ 0 93895 98647 2347558]        /Contents/Filter....%EOF[0x0d0a]

I can't get the same hash (d2c9...02af)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much ! So the 1446... corresponds to the hash of some of the PKCS7 data ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the 1446... corresponds to the hash of some of the PKCS7 data ?

Yes, it's the hash of the set of the signed attributes of the SignerInfo object in the PKCS#7 signature container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay ! But is the messageDigest in the set of signed attributes of the SignerInfo ? Otherwise, how is the hash checked for validity ? (It has to be RSA-encrypted with the private RSA key somewhere...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay ! But is the messageDigest in the set of signed attributes of the SignerInfo ?

Yes. I have posted the signed attributes of your signature container in my previous message, and you find the messageDigest attribute among them.

how is the hash checked for validity ?

You calculate the hash of the signed byte ranges of your PDF and compare it to the signed messageDigest attribute value. And you calculate the hash of the DER representation of the set of signed attributes and verify it against your signature value (for PKCS-1 v1.5 padded RSA that means decrypting that value and comparing; for other algorithms the mechanism may be different).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you once again !! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to come back on this, but can you tell me the command you used to get this output ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to come back on this, but can you tell me the command you used to get this output ?

I used an ASN.1 parser. In the case at hand https://lapo.it/asn1js/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines