• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can i export highlighted text in a pdf to a new document using Acrobat Pro?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I´ve tried to read a book using review on a Mac. Now I need a summary of all the highlights that I´ve made. Acrobat recognizes all my highlights, but I cannot find a way to export these highlights into a summary. I have made no comments throughout my reading, so exporting comments is not the issue.

Suggestions?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not enable the option to copy the highlighted text into the comments before you created them (under Edit - Preferences - Comments in Acrobat Reader or Acrobat), then you have a problem.

One possible solution is to use a tool to retroactively copy that text into the comments, so you could then generate a comments summary.

I've developed such a tool and you can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Retroactively Copy Highlighted Text into Comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I´ve now enabled the option, and continued to highlight. How do i make a summary of the new highlights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌in the comments pane, click on the comments options, then Create Comment Summary. That will give you a new diog box with options to choose font size, pagebsize, etc., of the comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

(I found the summary (say a line of highlighted text on each page) to be quite useless. I was hoping that it would be easy to make a one page summary... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I found an awesome tool in the app Highlights!

My workflow is now read and highlight in Preview, Save, Open in Highlights and export to .pdf (several other options available.) Easy.

The new .pdf is very easy to read, the highlights I made are collated under a page number reference.

Thanks for replies to my question. Problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://skim-app.sourceforge.io/

The app Skim (above) will do the same workflow as Highlights , but for free.

Skim | Home

I could not bring myself to pay 30 $ for highlights, on top of my Adobe subscription!

I would've expected Adobe to have completely nailed the 'pdf annotation' use case, themselves - despite Acrobat Pro's extensive functionality, simple PDF annotation & export of those notes seems not possible.

If they have this, and I'm not aware of it, please post.

Meanwhile - Skim rules ! 
It's easy to annotate & export - and Skim does indeed save the highlights & notes into the PDF file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines