• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I convert a PostScript file into a PDF?

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a booklet in InDesign and I need to convert the PostScript file into a PDF on my Windows computer. On Mac, all I would have to do is open the document and save it as a PDF from there. On Windows, I can't even open it.

I've seen everywhere and even from my professors that I need to download Adobe Distiller, but there is no working link available on the internet anymore since the program is 20 years old now. I do not have access to a Mac computer and I cannot open this PostScript file in Adobe Acrobat.

What do I do to convert my PostScript file into a PDF?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , PDF forms , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can run the ps file through distiller or see if InDesign can Export or Save As a PDF.

My installations of Acrobat DC Professional all have distiller. Reader does not have Distiller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the InDesign file, you should export directly to PDF and Print to booklet from Acrobat. You could also print to booklet from InDesign, but most users print from Acrobat. If you only have the postscript file, the Distiller App is located in the same folder as Acrobat DC (on a Mac), it's probably the same on a Windows machine. You could also try changing the file extension to .eps and try opening it in Acrobat. Here is a link to a related topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/booklet-and-bleed/m-p/9737476

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As others have said, the best method is File > Export to PDF (Print) from InDesign. 

Way back 20 or 25 years ago when we used to choose File > Print > Print to File in PageMaker and create a .prn file, we then changed the extension to .ps and opened it in the Distiller after choosing the correct settings. That workflow is archaic, but the Distiller still comes with Acrobat as a separate package. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From what I can tell, a PS postscript file out of InDesign to Distiller to PDF is different from a PDF exported directly from InDesign ... seems to contain more file information, bigger.. don't know if it looks better in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines