Opening large files became impossible because of this new and pretty useless to most accessability feature. Renaming api to api_old did the trick. Result: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins\Accessibility.api_OLD
Nice answer, it worked!
Install paths can vary a lot on windows. Mine was
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins
I tried Raymond's suggestion for Reader X. I tried Raymond's hint using Acrobat 10 There is only
one file with that name and the .API extension. I moved it to a new folder on the C:
\ drive. So far, no problems. I am also using Dragon Naturally Speaking v.11
I've been fighting this problem repeatedly for the last several months but it keeps coming back! Arghh!!
Previously, I solved it by creating a subfolder under plug_ins called "Accessibility DELETE" where I moved the three Accessibility plug-in files. Then, sometime after installing CS5 the problem came back again. Not right away but several weeks later, probably due to an update of Acrobat. When I looked in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\plug_ins I found another copy of Accessibility.api. So, I moved it yet again to my Accessibility DELETE folder but the problem persisted even after I made sure Magnifier wouldn't start and then rebooting.
I finally solved it this time by deleting my Accessibility DELETE subfolder entirely. Apparently, in CS5 Acrobat looks in the subfolders of plug_ins for its plugins.
This is really annoying. I wish Adobe would make it easier to turn this noise off!
have the same problem on Win 7