• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable automatic full-word text selection?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat has that annoying, trying-to-be-helpful-but-instead-being-annoying, automatic full-word text selection that Microsoft implemented a few years ago. Microsoft, though, was nice enough to include the ability to disable it and select text by characer for users whose use of text sleection must be precise. I didn't see this option in the otherwise extensive Preferences--does it exist?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Squid,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, you want to select the text by characters and unable to do so as it selects the whole word instead.

- Would you mind sharing the steps you are doing to select the word?

Please make sure you are using the selection tool and while holding the left mouse button just drag the mouse over the word and it will select the word by characters. 

You may also look at the correct answer marked in a similar discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/how-to-turn-off-entire-word-selection-in-reader-dc/m-p... and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make sure you are using the selection tool and while holding the left mouse button just drag the mouse over the word and it will select the word by characters. 

Yes, it will select the first word by character, but continuing the selection selects by word instead of continuing to select by character.

You may also look at the correct answer marked in a similar discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/how-to-turn-off-entire-word-selection-in-reader-dc/m-p... and see if that helps.

So the answer is no. Got it; thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I have noticed that the default behavior for Acrobat changed from selecting character by character to auto selecting the next word. The only thing that i've found to help is if you click somewhere on the page you can hold the Shift button and use the arrow keys to go character by character. The other thing is that if you have access to the Edit Pdf tool if you use that tool highlighting text becomes character by character as opposed to word by word.  Worked for me as of 11/28/2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines