• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I export highlighted text and comments?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I export highlighted text and comments to mame a study or review sheet from a PDF? Both in the iPad version as well as the current version for PC (2019.008.20074). Basic function that any person reading lots of PDFs for college, work or personal study needs.

Old online instructions about turning on Preference about Comments no longer is accessible in my version on iPad or PC.

Does Adobe require I pay $15/month to get this functionality by subscribing to PRO?

(IAnnoate provides it for a lot less money than that.  My solution will be to delete Adobe Reader and go back to iAnnotate on my iPad - but that does not cross over to PC)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Hi Rationalclimateconservati,

The functionality of exporting comment is still available with the latest version of Acrobat DC. There isn't any changes in the commenting preferences. For detailed information you may go through the link- What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Note: In Acrobat Reader, commenting features are available only in PDFs that have commenting enabled. PDFs in a review workflow typically include commenting rights.

Old online instructions about turning on Preference about Comments no l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rationalclimateconservati,

The functionality of exporting comment is still available with the latest version of Acrobat DC. There isn't any changes in the commenting preferences. For detailed information you may go through the link- What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Note: In Acrobat Reader, commenting features are available only in PDFs that have commenting enabled. PDFs in a review workflow typically include commenting rights.

Old online instructions about turning on Preference about Comments no longer is accessible in my version on iPad or PC.

Exporting comments on Acrobat mobile app was never supported on the any mobile devices. Neither the old version nor the updated.

For PC, you need to follow the steps suggested below or refer to the help article here- Importing and exporting comments, Adobe Acrobat

Export comments to a data file

• From the options menu in the comments list, choose Export All To Data File.

• Name the file and choose Acrobat FDF Files (*.fdf) or Acrobat XFDF Files (*.xfdf) for the file type.

• Specify a location for the file, and then click Save.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

This just opened a new pdf doc with all the original stuff and the comments on the side. Is there a way to get the highlighted text (preferably without having to copy paste into comments) out of the original document? I went through a textbook and made highlights but dont want to have to go back through hundreds of pages to copy paste it all out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thank you for reaching out.

As you just need the highlighted text, you may select "comments only" when creating a comment summary.

Please refer to the steps provided below:

- In the comment tool window at right hand side, click on tree dots as shown below in the screeshot:

comment option.JPG

- Then select "create comment summary" option from the list that appears.

- In the Create comment summary window, select the radio button for "Comments Only"

comment summary.JPG

- Now, click on Create Comment Summary button provided at the bottom of the window.

Check if that helps.

Let us know if you are looking for something else or need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 4.54.30 pm.png

hi that isnt an option....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should appear under the Pring dialog, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, where? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snap8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello collegues ,

I am reading some magazines and some books . I have highlighted texts in these and i want them to export so that i can use them up . currently i am using the attached version . any support in this regard would be highly appreciated .I have tried alot but couldnt make any progress. thanks adobe 1.PNGadobe acrobat.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

create comment summary this option is missing in the three dots have searched alot but couldnt find . I have also searched the wizard but it asks for payment and says not working in ur country .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Reader you can do it via the Print dialog by clicking the Summarize Comments button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having the same problem as others. I want to be able to save my comments (highlighted content) in another document, as thought I have written notes from what I've read. When I click the "summarize comments" button in the print dialogue window, it seems to be generating a version of the file that (a) I don't want, (b) can only be printed out rather than saved on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to do it is by exporting the comments data to an FDF file, and then import that file in another document. However, that is not a built-in feature of Reader, but you can still do it using this (paid-for) tool I've developed: http://try67.blogspot.com/2013/02/reader-importexport-form-data.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I am not interested in purchasing more software and also having to export a document twice in order to save the highlighted content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that worked well on the export end but is there a way to condense things so comments appear succintly rather generating comments on individual pages? In other words, have the comments export to a single page(s) that overflows to continuous pages as needed, rather than what currently happens -- multiple pages with one or two comments per page?

For example, if I have a 200 page document with 75 comments on,  65 pages of that document — as is, it exports 65 pages of comments. But the comments aren't long and if it was just the comments, it would only take about 4 or 5 pages.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that I had hoped to export just the comments to a Word doc but to be honest, your instructions in the dialogue box that pops up is bewildering. I don't know what you mean by the "'Adobe PDF' menu" or where that is. 

Adobe Screenshot 2022-02-09 071522.png

This is the program/version I am using

 

Adobe Screenshot 2022-02-09 071747.png

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem as Marka - would like my comments to show up in a condensed set of pages, not one page per page for which I have comments.  Help appreciated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My problem is when import the exported file (.fdf) to a copy of the PDF the highlight with comment will be placed in a different spot and can't be moved.

How can I place in right spot of document?

Regards,

Mia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many others here, I am also looking for the option to extract my highlighted text in a separate document. 

When I try the suggested option in the comment section called "create comment summary" and select "comments only" a new pdf document is created. That is just a condensed version of the comments list with my name and time and that I highlighted text. BUT the highlighted text itself is not to be seen.  

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro Version: 23.001.20143.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This tool only exports data that's a part of the comment itself, not the text it "hovers" above. If you didn't enable the option to copy the selected text into the highlights (via Edit - Preferences - Commenting) then your only option is to do it retroactively, using a script, like this (paid-for) tool I've developed:

https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-retroactively-copy-highlighted-text-into-comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines