Highlighted

How do I match Bookmark location with View location?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I've been searching high and low for this answer, but yet continue to be stumped.  I would like to simply be able figure out how I can have my location within a PDF document be reflected and matched by the bookmark?  ie. how do I have the bookmarks pane scroll along to match my current location in the document pane (or where the cursor is) and highlight the matching bookmark?

Hoping someone can help solve this one for me!

Thank you.

Topics

Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I match Bookmark location with View location?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I've been searching high and low for this answer, but yet continue to be stumped.  I would like to simply be able figure out how I can have my location within a PDF document be reflected and matched by the bookmark?  ie. how do I have the bookmarks pane scroll along to match my current location in the document pane (or where the cursor is) and highlight the matching bookmark?

Hoping someone can help solve this one for me!

Thank you.

Topics

Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bookmark corresponding to your current location will highlight automatically as you scroll, but the panel itself will not scroll automatically for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I think that's what I'm trying to accomplish, as I scroll through the document, the bookmark panel doesn't highlight automatically. 

For example, if I click on a bookmark, and then scroll past a few bookmarked locations, the bookmark panel doesn't advance.

In reading over your response over, I think you're saying this doesn't happen, but could you maybe clarify what you mean by 'the bookmark corresponding to your current location will highlight..."?

Thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just open the Bookmarks panel and scroll down the page, as you enter a page which a bookmark points to that bookmark will become (slightly) highlighted by its color changing from blue to gray. Here's an example:

try67_0-1594368691536.png

You'll notice that the "annotAttachment" bookmark has a different color as soon as I scrolled to the page that it points to. When I continue scrolling and move past that page, that highlight disappears and the icon returns to its original state:

try67_1-1594368781562.png

If I then scroll on some more and arrive to the next one ("AnnotRichMedia"), it will also become highlighted:

try67_2-1594368814804.png

And so on. However, when I go past the last bookmark visible in the Bookmarks panel ("Events", in this case) the panel itself will not scroll down automatically to match my location in the file. I'll have to do that myself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the clarification.  

I now understand what you mean by 'the panel itself' will not scroll down automatically.  

What you've described in the transition between "annotAttachment" and "AnnotRichMedia" being highlighted as you progress through the document is exactly what I am trying to replicate.  This is not occuring for me.  

I am editing in Adobe Acrobat DC if that matters. 

Thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have to do with the type of action associated with the bookmarks. Do you know how to check that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe I do... 
- right-click on individual Bookmark itself, and select Properties.

- from there, the Action tab provides a list of options to add/edit etc.

Looking forward to your guidance.  Thank you again,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, and what do you see there? What kind of action is associated with the bookmarks in your file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally speaking it's what I've set... and it's pretty basic:

1) "Go to page in this document" - with associated settings for Page # and Zoom Level

2) "Execute Menu Item" - View>Zoom>Fit Height.

...and that's generally it.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it should work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang... don't know why it isn't.

When I select a bookmark, the bookmark name is highlighted in 'blue' vs. the icon like in your pictures above.

...and while I'm on the subject of the icon, is there a reason the merged bookmarks are "double curled flags" (?) vs. if I create one post-merging, it's a 'single UNCURLED flag'.  In your pictures above, I'd refer to those as "Single curled flags"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re blue highlighting: That is correct behavior, but it's unrelated to the kind of highlighting I talked about.

Re different icons: That has to do with how the bookmarks were created. When they are the result of multiple files being merged (in Acrobat) you'll get those "double" bookmark icons. I've actually developed a (free) tool some time ago to convert those bookmarks to "regular" ones.

You can find it here: https://try67.blogspot.com/2011/09/batch-change-bookmarks-type.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: highlighting - yes, it appears different than the kind of highlighting you've reflected.  I can't actually get it to highlight as in your pictures.... just the ribbon of blue highlight across the entire bookmark name.  

I'm going to try editing in FoxIt and see if there might be some sort of Property to adjust.  I'm at the end of my rope on this one.  It's somewhat cosmetic, but it's a bigger issue as I have a 300+ page document.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... @try67, you're going to kill me.

Loaded FoxIt and the bookmarks advance as I would have wanted... so I try opening in Acrobat Reader only, and suddenly noticed that what I wanted is actually occurring.  Confirmed the same in Acrobat DC.  

The only issue was that it was *barely* visible.  The 'highlight' of the flag is only apparent on the border of the flag, and goes from one dark shade of grey, to an ever so slightly darker shade of grey.  *facepalm*

Also, I probably only noticed this after running your script because it standardized the icon to the "single unrolled flag".  Any way to change how it 'highlights'?  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
try67 LATEST
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's very imperceptible, and no, it can't be changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF