• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I preserve URLs /hyperlinks if I am flattening a PDF Form?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I created a form using Acrobat PRO DC for my users to fill out.  However once the form is filled out I need to flattened the form so the fields get locked up.  In the form I have a url link that needs to keep working once the form is flattened.  Any way I can do this?  I already tried "Save As Optimized PDF" along with creating an action with the Wizard tool.  Neither of these steps preserves my url.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you flatten a file using a script you can tell it to ignore non-printing fields, so if you convert your link to a button that does the same task, but set it as non-printing, that should solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it and got the below error

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 10.27.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I tried it and got the below error..."

That's not an error. Surely it's the only possibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you specify the nNonPrint parameter as 1?

You need to use this code:

this.flattenPages({nNonPrint: 1});

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!!! Thank you so much, this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a similar same issue.  I have a 100+ page guide that was created in InDesign with links to various pages within the document (not urls).  This needs to be converted to a pdf with a file size not more that 1.7 MB. I think if I flatten it, it will reduce the file size enough, but I need to preserve the links.

I am not a programmer so can someone guide me as to how exactly I can flatten the pdf, preserving the links if I must use script.  I am not familiar with using script in Acrobat, but can most likely figure it out with instructions.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should write the hyperlink as a full URL, so Acrobat (Reader, Standard and Pro) will always automaticaly detect the URL and make it clickable without the need of a link object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JR_Boulay

Thanks, but unfortunately my URL is too long, and I need to make the PDF presentable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find many URL shortener around the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can experiment with settings in Save as optimized PDF. Some will remove links, others may save space in unexpected ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried some various ways of using that, but there are a lot of screen shots in the document and the Optimized settings usually make the resolution too low for them to be clear.  That's why I wanted to try flattening.  I need the file to go from 9 MB to 1.7 without losing image quality.  Either way, I'd like to know how to flatten a pdf with links.  I've had many instances in the past where it would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the file to go from 9 MB to 1.7 without losing image quality.

Compression is not magic, you have to make choices.

For better results:

- Use PDF 1.6 or PDF 1.7 format.

- Try to decrease compression quality instead of decreasing resolution (144 dpi is the minimum).

- Try JPEG2000 instead of JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know how to flatten a pdf with links.

Starting from A.pdf

Flatten and compress it without keeping hyperlinks nor form objects and save as B.pdf.

(Re)open A.pdf, open the Page panel and "Replace (all) pages" by selecting the B.pdf file as the new pages source.

Save as C.pdf : now you have a compressed and flattened file that has kept its hyperlinks, metadata, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this method, but after I used the Replace pages command, the hyperlinks were all gone.

I've been playing with compression using your suggestions and have come to realize that reducing a 100+ page interactive pdf that is 9 mb will never be able to be reduced to 1.7 MB without obvious image quality loss.  I tried using all the recommended save for web settings I could find and the best I could do was 6 MB and that only looked so so with pixelation.  I think the requirements of this client are unrealistic at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn off image processing in the PDF optimizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of the above worked for me (I did not try the script solution however). So I just optimised a 9MB file down to just over 2MB then right clicked the link(s) (I had about 20) > edit > actions > go to page and entered the link destination. Done. It worked. I know this is not ideal, just a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines