• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I prevent signatures from being edited or moved by recipients?

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Fill & Sign to add my signature, save the PDF, then send to a recipient. If a recipient opens the PDF in Acrobat, they can select Edit PDF and then they can easily move/edit/export the signature.

How do I prevent or restrict this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a digital signature field instead of Fill & Sign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce my issue even when using the Digital Signature. After I sign and save the file, I just use the print dialogue to "Print as PDF", which turns the digiatal signatures into editable images just like the Fill & Sign method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you sign the file you can apply a security policy to prevent printing. Also, if the user does what you described the new file is not going to be digitally signed any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"which turns the digiatal signatures into editable images just like the Fill & Sign method."

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. This is a common misunderstanding of digital signatures.

A digital signature is not what you see on the page; it is based on a certificate, and can tell with absolute certaintly whether a PDF has been changed since it was signed. If the PDF is changed in any way, the signature is either gone, or invalid. Sure, there is a mark on the page. 

Remember, you CANNOT trust marks on a page. With no special software, anyone can "lift" a signature from anywhere and stick it on any document. They can in seconds make a copy of a file and change the signatures. Faking is so easy, that digital signatures are an absolute must. With digital signatures, the fake won't have a valid signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines