• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Print Only the Bookmarks in a PDF?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to print the entire list of just bookmarks so I can check them against the document. I want to be able write edits on the paper printout, not add comments on the screen.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

There is nothing built into either Acrobat or Reader that provides such functionality. Conceivably, someone could write either some Javascript or a plug-in to effectively create a new document from the bookmarks and allow that to be printed (or saved).

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing built into either Acrobat or Reader that provides such functionality. Conceivably, someone could write either some Javascript or a plug-in to effectively create a new document from the bookmarks and allow that to be printed (or saved).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I see you're Staff, great.

Maybe the bookmarks could be printed out as only a section without having to create a separate document. It would also be helpful to be able to make comments on the bookmarks.

For example, I might want to add a comment that says, "Add a bookmark below this one that says, 'blah blah blah' and link it to X section on page 3. 

As it stands now I need to be able to use printed versions (I'm a proofreader).  I have no skills to write some Javascript or a plug-in to do that.

Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may always ask in the JavaScript​ forum for that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd,

Thank you for the link but the site has changed and it does not take me directly to the link nor can I find it.  Do you have another way of showing me that information to create the bookmark report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way would be to take a screenshot of the bookmarks panel and print that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, the bookmarks list I have is too long to show up on one screen to have a screenshot taken.  I did try before I posted. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Bernd Alheit​'s suggestion? 1 hour ago

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat does have the feature to print all bookmarks from one pdf or multiple pdfs to a pdf doc. Not very user-friendly but better than the output to HTML as suggested below. Please see below for instructions

http://www.samyoung.co.nz/2019/11/printing-bookmark-list-from-pdf.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing. I should perhaps say that it isn't true that "Acrobat does have the feature to print all bookmarks". It doesn't. The first, and correct, reply said "Conceivably, someone could write either some Javascript or a plug-in"

The page you linked to gives information on some JavaScript someone wrote, and on a plug-in that someone sells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every body wants this funtionality except adobe. There was a printpdf all but it seems to have been driven out of business by adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just convert the PDF to a Word Document, add a TOC to the top, copy it, and paste as text only where I want the list to be.  It's a workaround that doesn't require downloading anything from the internet that could introduce a risk to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines