• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I reduce a PDF file size on Adobe Reader XI in order to send it in an email?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF file that when sent in an email, get's bounced back because the large size cannot be delivered. I tried to open it with "Preview" and export - quartz - reduce file size - but when i go to check the new files size, it's actually larger, which doesn't make sense. I'm currently using a Mac but I also need to know how to do this on an HP laptop because that is where most of my work files are located (not sure if that changes anything). This version isn't any sort of "Pro" or "Acrobat" also.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You could optimize or reduce file size with Acrobat only.

Reader does not come with this option.

If you have Acrobat,you could try saving it as reduced size PDF or Optimized PDF.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌It's entirely normal for most PDF files to be too big too email. If you buy Acrobat it can reduce some but it isn't a magic bullet. Just send another way. wetransfer.com is popular and easy to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an awkward workaround perhaps but works for me: I convert the (too large) pdf to a png or jpg picture file first, resulting in a much smaller file size, and then (in Mac Preview) I export that back to pdf... The resulting pdf has the same (small) file size as the picture file. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question was about Adobe Reader XI on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, why use such a really awkward workaround when you can use free services like wetransfer.com to send large files, and everyone does rather than trying to fit the tiny file size limits (for 20 years now) from email??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines