• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I solve the "Font Capture: AcroRd32.exe - Application Error" for Windows 7 and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error message when opening up Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and when I press "Ok" the program automatically closes.  It happens when I try to open a PDF or just try to open the program.  I uninstalled and reinstalled, ran a virus scan, searched for updates, checked the forums, etc. but nothing has solved the problem.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abraham, you posted this question in the non-technical Lounge forum. I'm going to move it over to the Acrobat forum so that you can get the help you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you pls. help us answer the following queries to investigate the issue in more detail:

1. What is the exact OS version? You can check that after typing winver on the Start > Run command window.
  2. What all plugins are installed in Reader? Just want to know if some plugin is hampering with the functioning of Reader.
  3. Does the issue happen when you just launch Reader (without any PDF file opened) or does it occurs only when a PDF is opened.
  4. Does the issue happen for certain PDFs or for all PDFs?
  5. Does the issue appear only if PDF is opened in standalone or a browser or both?
  6. Could you pls. also send us the PDF file and crash dump to investigate more on the issue?

Also can you pls. let us know if the following workaround helps to resolve the issue:

1. Try deleting the temp files that start with “ARC” in the folder "Documents and Settings\[user profile]\Local Settings\Temp".
  2. Check your system for some spyware which might be hampering with Adobe Reader.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's windows 7 Professional Version 6.1.

I don't know of any plugins.  We haven't intentionally added any as far as I know.

It happens when I open any PDF or if I just open the program.

I can't send you the PDF.  What's a crash dump?

That exact file path doesn't exist in Windows 7 but I looked in the Temp folder I could find and didn't see any ARC files.

I've already ran a malware scan.  It didn't find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can send us the dump file that gets generated in case of the crash. Following are the steps to get the dump file:

1. Before clicking on the OK button in the error dialog, Open the “Windows Task Manager”
    2. Select the “Processes” tab.
    3. Right click the process you wish to take a dump of. In case of Reader take the dump of both the processes listed (AcroRd32).
    4. Select “Create Dump File”
    5. A dialogue will appear with the location of the saved dump.
    6. Copy the file and send it to us through any file sharing services like dropbox, box, Onedrive, GoogleDrive etc.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was forced to find a workaround. I downloaded a trial version of Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro DC and it’s no longer giving me the error messages. We’ll see what happens when the trial version expires though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a trial version of Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro DC

There is no trial version of Reader—it's always free. Adobe Acrobat DC has a trial, but not Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re right. It was Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I apologize for the mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries! When the trial expires, you will need to license it to continue using it, but it's the exact same version of the software. So if it working now, it should continue to work after you license it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree but I’m not sure my company want to pay for that license. I think they want a free solution. I had a hard time finding a download for Reader to work. It kept taking me to the Adobe Acrobat DC download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for a free solution with Adobe Reader, then definitely follow up with the questions from Adobe staff member:  vdobhal .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue. I have tested with version 9 and version 11.0.0 and the last version with the same problem. I open the application and after some seconds, the application popup an error. I reinstalled the application but it still does not work fine.

Here is the link to dump file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XItWUXteBJPHDN1joDWKLBeWU3XjTOFm

my best regards

Samuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines