• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I unhighlight a word in a PDF document that has been saved?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I un-highlight a word in a PDF document that has been saved?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

It's under Tools - Protection, and only available in Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the highlight and then press Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, but it doesn't work.  I can't delete or change the color to white.  I have tried everything.  This document was sent to me with 4 random words already highlighted and I can't un-highlight them.  Any more suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see under the Comments List section of the Comment panel? Are the highlights visible there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing!  There is nothing in the comments section.  The highlights are not visible there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the file was flattened and the highlight comments were converted to static content.

To edit them now you will need to use the Edit Text & Images tool, under Tools - Content Editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.  I am in the edit text and tools.  How do I make the yellow disappear.  I have tried to delete the words and move things around. Nothing works.  Thanks for your help, by the way!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no guarantee it will work. If you can't use that tool to select the yellow part then your only option is to remove the entire word and the surrounding background color (using the Redaction tool) and then enter it back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it!  Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a "Redact" tool in the Tools/Content Editing pane ; neither is Redact a choice in my drop-down menu <<View/Tools/>>.    How am I missing this?   Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's under Tools - Protection, and only available in Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you convert it to a word doc you can remove it there then just convert back to a PDF.  I had the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I tried everything on this page, but nothing seems to work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best Regards
Wallace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit tricky. I have googled it for awhile but couldn't find a better solution but by a luck, I found a proper and easy solution. Here what I have done.

Go to View => Comments => Annotations

There you will see all the highlighted words or sentences. Select what you have to un-highlight and right click. Delete.

That's all!

Hope this will help.

PS: You don't need a pro version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that worked then you can simply click the highlight and press Delete and it will be gone, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked GREAT!  A few highlighted areas remained but that was a quick, easy fix.  Just have to click on the text box around the text and hit delete to get rid of the remaining highlighted areas.  Thanks fo the trick michelleg63409541

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Easy Peasy!  Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of this works for me. i have the PDF subscription. so dumb that Adobe doesn't make it easier to unhighlight a documetn that i personally highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click on the highlighted text

Click on Properties

Change color to white

Click ok, and you're done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines