• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I update my Adobe products from 32-bit to 64-bit?

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had a message from Apple after installing their latest update to High Sierra 10.13.4 saying that my Adobe products that are still at 32-bit will not run on my computer after future updates of the operating system.  They advise that those apps need to be updated from 32-bit to 64-bit.  Do you have an update so that I can continue using my Adobe apps?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Acrobat (for which forum serves) DC is indeed a 64-bit application under MacOS. All current Adobe Creative Cloud applications for MacOS are also 64-bit applications.

However, there are a few remaining background service processes that are not yet 64-bit. These are scheduled to be moved to 64-bit within the next year.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/macos-high-sierra-compatibility.html and
https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-applications-64-bit-compatibility/

HOWEVER, in the meantime you c

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Afobe products exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat (for which forum serves) DC is indeed a 64-bit application under MacOS. All current Adobe Creative Cloud applications for MacOS are also 64-bit applications.

However, there are a few remaining background service processes that are not yet 64-bit. These are scheduled to be moved to 64-bit within the next year.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/macos-high-sierra-compatibility.html and
https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-applications-64-bit-compatibility/

HOWEVER, in the meantime you can safely ignore the warning message. There is no loss of functionality or performance based upon this. By the time MacOS does prohibit 32-bit applications, the updates will be available from Adobe.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do my Win10 PDFs say Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit) in the top bar when I'm on a 64-bit machine?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two things are not related. Adobe is starting the release of the 64-bit version of Acrobat for Windows in limited regions, but for the moment it's still 32-bit for almost everyone. Soon enough you'll get an update, but for the moment you don't need to worry about it. A 32-bit app can run just fine on a 64-bit machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but the sooner the update the better.  My Adobe 32 bit software facilitates hanging up browser and file processes regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Depending on your location you can download and install the 64-bit version. 

Don't expect any third party plugins to work. If your MS Office is 32-bit (the default) the Acrobat ribbon may not work. 

If you decide to install it, uninstall the 32-bit version first. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/download-64-bit-installer.html

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines