• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I view a PDF file in Chrome ?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/open-in-acrobat-reader-from-chrome.html

-

But I can't follow the "instructions".

It says "When you open a PDF in Chrome, you see the Adobe Acrobat prompt in the upper-right corner of the window. Click Open in Acrobat Reader."

But I do not get this prompt - every PDF document has to be downloaded to disk and then opened

-

Is this because I have only Acrobat Pro DC installed and not the Reader?

Is there a way I can once again see PDF documents in Chrome?

(I used to be able to this, but recently after a windows upgrade I can no longer view PDF in Chrome)

TOPICS
How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome is set up so, by default, each PDF is opened right there in the Chrome window. If you've somehow turned it off, this is not dependent on any Adobe software, but will be a Chrome setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS A SCAM! Do not provide this person any private information or allow them to contact you or take over your computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Go to your Settings in Chrome (under the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of browser)

Click on Privacy and Security option on the left side of settings

Click on Site Settings option

Scroll down to Content and click Additional content settings

Click on PDF Documents

See if the option to Download PDF files instead of automatically openin them in Chrome is on

If it is, turn it off.

BTW, if you ever get a "Please wait..." dialog box when opening a PDF in a browser, that means it is not an Acrobat PDF (AcroForm) but a LiveCycle/AEM Designer PDF (XFA form). You will need to download that PDF and open it directly on your computer.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tried this - but {Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome} is already OFF.

-

So it may be a Chrome setting (I can open them in Firefox OK) - but it's not this setting.

If it's relevent to the problem, I also get this when downloading Word documents (it used to open Word automatically)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this advice: "At the bottom of the Chrome window, you will see a gray bar with your file. Click the little up arrow next to your file. Click "always open with system viewer" or "always files of this type." Chrome will now always download and automatically open that specific file type."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried this and a few other things.

Nothing works ...... good one Google 😞

-

So I have now abandoned Chrome and gone back to Firefox

About three years ago I abandoned Firefox in favour of Chrome because Forefox had problems.

Now I've come full circle back again LOL.

-

So though this problem isn't fix - I am no longer interested in pursuing a solution.

If one day I try chrome and it works again then hooray!   But that doesn't mean I'll switch back again.

I'll only do that if Firefox then get another problem............... and round and round.....etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, don't respond to scammers who want Skype ID!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines