• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you ALWAYS SHOW the thumbnails pane by default in Acrobat DC?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked through all the settings and searched here and on Google – maybe I missed it, but I don't see the option ANYWHERE.

Acrobat DC refuses to persist my decision to open the thumbnails pane after I have closed the program and opened another file.

This is HORRIBLY annoying because I have to delete pages from almost every document I open in Acrobat DC (nature of my job and use case), and since.... "upgrading....."  *cough*  .... from Acrobat XI, I now have to "unhide" the left sidebar (I didn't ever have to do this in Acrobat XI), AND THEN tell it to show the thumbnails.  This is a HUGE waste of time working with multiple files that have to be edited thus.

I have the latest version: 2015.010.20056 on Windows 7.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Hi All,

Acrobat & Reader January updates for DC Continuous (Build # 2015.023.20053), DC Classic (Build # 2015.006.30279) and 11.0.19 are now live.

In this Update we support keeping any Navigation pane pinned, i.e.  to open by default for all the documents in the LHP.

This is how you can try this out:

1) Launch any PDF and Expand the Panel that you want the acrobat to open by default for every document(For Ex. Page Thumbnails)

2) Right click on the LHP Navigation strip , Select the option from the con

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I pin the page thumbnails in the Mac version of Acrobat Pro DC?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. It's a setting of the files you open, not of the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come so many likes? What is LHP, where is an illustration? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LHP is "Left Hand Pane"

Screenshot_3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you on the "Pin page thumbnails" feature, you are right on.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix makes absolutely no sense to me. why is this so difficult now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked!! You saved my day,  thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Adobe rep who posted below (I tried this and it works; like many of you, I was desperate for this feature as I always delete the first page of PDFs I download and re-paginate them, too).

1) Launch any PDF and Expand the Panel that you want the acrobat to open by default for every document(For Ex. Page Thumbnails)

2) Right click on the LHP Navigation strip , Select the option from the context menu "Pin Page thumbnails" .

3) now try out by launching any other pdf -> You will observe that the Page thumbnails panel would appear expanded by default on launch(If document does not have any other document specific preference )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please mark this now as  ANSWERED as per ajain@adobe.com 's reply. (copy/pasted below)

2) Right click on the LHP Navigation strip , Select the option from the context menu "Pin Page thumbnails" .

3) now try out by launching any other pdf -> You will observe that the Page thumbnails panel would appear expanded by default on launch(If document does not have any other document specific preference ) Refer here for more info on this What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC -> "Retain the last LHP state across Acrobat launches"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Pin" option not available, even though Adobe website says it should be there. Version 2015.006.30306

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.18.03 .png

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.17.15 .png

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.18.39 .png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Classic track it will only be available starting with Acrobat 2017, I believe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new features are not available in old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this doesn't work.  It pins the bookmarks menu, which does actually help, because it at least opens that pane by default, but you still have to click the pages to get the pages thumbnails to open.  So it saves 1 click, but does not open the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Npe, not on Mac anyway, simply fails.  Se may rant below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new feature page says "Acrobat DC Continuous" but that's not what you have. You have "Classic".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "pinning" the thumbnails has a side-effect.  Once you pin thumbnails, bookmarks, etc. the control-B function which normally will bookmark with the highlighted text as the title of the bookmark no longer functions properly.  It will create a bookmark but only titles it untitled.  Since we typically work with documents that have to be bookmarked, it is easier/faster to press f4 at the open of every document than to type the titles of all the bookmarks in so many documents.   The control-B function works normally again as soon as you 'unpin' the pinned thumbnail, bookmarks, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot understand this instruciton.  Dont use acronyms.  What is LHP?  What is the Navagatin Strip?

I have gone onto the internet looking for a diagram of where is the Navagation Strip.  Cant fined one.  People talk about it but I dont know what it is or what it looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LHP = Left Hand Panel

You can see it in the images posted above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confusing stuff.

LHP = left hand panel. Simply, it's the space where you want thumbnails.

Navigation strip is the strip to the left of that, with a few icons in it, where you can click them for thumbnails, pages and so on. Right click in that strip, to get the menu you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this whole thread is comically complex.  I too had to ponder what "LHP" was but more than that, the fact that I had to come here to learn this means that something this simple (viewing thumbnails) has become so complex should tell us all something about the world we live in.  Four pages of comments on this one topic over several years!?  

I will admit, just a few months ago I located the thumbnails after poking around.  I hadn't been in Acrobat in a while and forgot where they were.  I'll remember this time, I promise. 

Until they are tucked away under SOP (Some Other Place).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!

For the life of me, I could not figure out WTF Adobe meant by "LHP", which of course they define NOWHERE. And I've worked in computers since before Adobe was in existence...

I was right clicking all over with no joy until I found your post. So again, THANK YOU!

Adobe - ARE YOU LISTENING???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines