• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you handle Leader Lines in Word?

Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I'm over-thinking, but I was curious if you do anything special with leader lines, say in a Microsoft Word Table of Contents? For example, the line of text may be "A. This is Your Section Title..................24."

NVDA may read back "Link A. This is your section title; Link 19-dot; Link 24." Where "19-dot" is apparently the total of periods in this particular leader line. I feel like this shouldn't be how table of contents line items should be interpreted, but maybe it is?

Another question: I've noticed that sometimes the export to PDF will create a single link for the ToC listing and other times it may break the line up into parts, similar to  how you may have tag breaks if you've changed the character style of a word within a paragraph. Screen readers seem to read it the same, either way, so I was  curious if this is normal.

Finally, I believe I am hearing some type of numbered Link ID when NVDA reads the table of contents listing. Using the same example above, my screen reader is literally reading, "Link A. This is your section; Link 19-dot; Link (12) 24." Where 12 is a different number ID for each line of the table of contents list.

I kinda feel like I'm missing something obvious here, considering all three questions. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

- noel.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your AT users experience is going to differ depending on AppleVoice, JAWS or NVDA. The current versions of JAWS only read "dot dot dot" before moving on. You can spend the time to artifact the leaders (I have done it before) but it is really not necessary unless you know the audience most likely to review your content will be using NVDA only. NVDA, being the free reader, has less time for programming development so time addressing things like dot leaders is minimal.

Also, realize that someone reading the TOC will likely skip ahead once they figure out the patter with the 19-dot text.

I did put in a feature request for InDesign to allow us to tag the leaders as artifacts on the design end to keep from having to manually artifact them on the pdf end. Artifact dot leaders – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Alternatively you could set the "Actual Text" to read something other than 19-dot, but you are still having to touch each of the items in your TOC. At that point, I would just artifact them if I had to choose.

-Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm remediating a WORD doc converted to PDF. I have not been successful in artifacting the leader dots.I've tried to set the containtr to artifact, edit the PDF to remove the dots, modifying the tag as artifact, In reading order popup, click/drag a box and setting to background/artifact. I've also tried crying with about the same result. 🙂

NVDA still reads "100-dot" and then the page number reference. Ideas to try? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines