• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make a PDF not editable?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - Since converting to Acrobat DC, my office has had trouble making our PDFs not editable. I followed the security functions (File>Properties>Security>Password Security), but this prevents users from being able to print the document--and our users must have that option. However, if we don't apply the password protection, users can edit text, images, etc--which must not happen either. What function creates a static PDF like in the "old days"? Thanks, Gwen

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you apply the security policy you can select to allow printing, while still forbidding editing of other kinds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Try67: using your prompt, I made changes to the security settings. That does make the document non-editable. It's not quite the answer I was looking for, though--I will try to articulate it better.

When I export a document to PDF from InDesign, Word, or other programs, the document comes over with editable properties. I don't want that. I want the document to arrive in Acrobat in a static condition. I don't want to edit text, images, or anything else. Is there an export function I need to select? If not possible, what can I do in Acrobat to remove the editability from the document while making it possible to forward to a superior to apply a signature?

Maybe I need to post this in an InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about ID, but in Acrobat it's easily done. Open the file, go to File - Properties - Security and select Password Security.

You'll see this dialog:

If you want to allow digital signing and printing then select these options:

Enter your password, click OK, save the file and you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do this it still will not let it be fillable to another person I am emailing. It is stating that it is policy protected. Please help. Do I need to do something in a Java Script? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What options did you select in the Security dialog, exactly? Did you add form fields to the file before securing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the picture above my post. And yes I added the fields and
buttons and everything before I secured it.

--
*Thank you for your time,*

*Jeremiah Hall*
Data Manager
[Moderator deleted private information. Please do not post private information like e-mails and phone numbers]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow the picture above this post. And the fields where added befor securing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the other person fill it on a mobile device? Or does the person use Fill & Sign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mobile and Fill and Sign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't protect the file when you want use it on mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply exactly the same security settings when exporting to PDF from InDesign, in the last pane of the PDF export options box.

InDesign_w6jNRyVEMz.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And from Word too

WINWORD_PDCkWIB2RQ.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wHAT VERSION OF WORD ARE YOU USING?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines