• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you save PDF files to print on large format printers?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you save PDF files to print on large format printers?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

What specifically are you looking for?

In terms of page size, one option is to create original documents that match the final print size 1:1. This could lead to very large page sizes, sometimes exceeding the capabilities of some design applications.

Alternatively, many if not most large format printers have the ability to scale output such that an original 11x17 can become a 22x34 or 33x52 simply as a job submission option.

Image resolution depends on how close to the large format output the viewer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specifically are you looking for?

In terms of page size, one option is to create original documents that match the final print size 1:1. This could lead to very large page sizes, sometimes exceeding the capabilities of some design applications.

Alternatively, many if not most large format printers have the ability to scale output such that an original 11x17 can become a 22x34 or 33x52 simply as a job submission option.

Image resolution depends on how close to the large format output the viewer is. 300dpi for very large pages requires images that are perhaps much higher than the original image can support. On the other hand, if a poster is going to be viewed from 10 to 20 feet away, high resolution is not necessary or appropriate.

In tems of color, many large format printers (especially inkjet) support more than just CMYK colorants such that more vibrant colors can be printed. It is best to leave digital imagery in its original ICC color managed RGB color spaces to take advantage of the wide gamut provided by these extra inks. Converting to CMYK in creating the PDF eliminates that possibility!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dov:

The PDF "print" button does not offer Architectural D size as a paper.  What do I need to do to send it to my plotter (HP DesignJet T120) to print 36" x 24" sheet?

Thanks for your help,

Taruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Fit option and it will automatically fit the contents of the page to the paper you're printing it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work, Dov.  What else can I do?

In the past I was able to do it, when  "Print" gave me a choice of paper sizes Including Arch D, but it doesn't do it now.  Should I need a more current Acrobat?

Taruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Dov, first of all.

Saying "it doesn't work" is not very helpful... What exactly happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what Taruno is asking. I am trying to create a pdf file for printing on a large format printer. The finished print size is 34" x 88" (It is a sewing pattern.) I select print and then choose "Microsoft Print to pdf", select "size" and then choose "actual size". When I try to select the paper size, there is no "custom" paper size option. It wants to print on 8.5 x 11, or some other standard size. Do I need the paid version for more options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft print to PDF is nothing to do with Adobe. What app are you printing -from- to make the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoCad in my case.

Taruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using Adobe, but instead of choosing the printer, I want to create a pdf. I choose print and instead of my printer I choose Microsoft Print to PDF, which is what I choose when I want to create a pdf file. It is the only choice to create a pdf. Then, it only allows me to choose regular letter size, not large format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines