• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does collation work when printing multiple copies of a PDF portfolio?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Say you have a portfolio that combines 3 pdf files (a, b, c) of 3 pages each (1, 2, 3). So page 1 of file a is a1 in the example below, and so on.

My question is, if you print 3 copies and tick 'collate', in which order would pages come out?

a1, a2, a3, a1, a2, a3, a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, b3, b1, b2, b3, b1, b2, b3, c1, c2, c3, c1, c2, c3, c1, c2, c3

OR

a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, b3, c1, c2, c3, a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, b3, c1, c2, c3, a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, b3, c1, c2, c3

Thank you for letting me know.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

I found out so will answer my own question in case this helps anyone.

Selecting 'collate' when printing x copies of a portfolio results in each set printing x times before moving on to the next (rather than printing the whole portfolio x times).

So as per the above example: 

a1, a2, a3, a1, a2, a3, a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, b3, b1, b2, b3, b1, b2, b3, c1, c2, c3, c1, c2, c3, c1, c2, c3

Worth noting that if a set has odd pages and you select double-side printing, the last page of the set will print corr

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found out so will answer my own question in case this helps anyone.

Selecting 'collate' when printing x copies of a portfolio results in each set printing x times before moving on to the next (rather than printing the whole portfolio x times).

So as per the above example: 

Worth noting that if a set has odd pages and you select double-side printing, the last page of the set will print correctly (i.e. what would be page 4 will be left blank).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines