• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add pages to existing PDF without changing the page numbers?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an existing PDF that has a TOC and hyperlinks. I want to prepend 3 pages to the document. However, when I do that, all the page numbering changes and the TOC and hyperlinks from the original PDF are all off by 3 pages. How do I add the pages without changing the page numbering in the original document?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot.

To be page numbering independant, TOC and hyperlinks must use "Destinations" instead of the page number or Go to view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the pages to the end of document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, they have to go at the beginning of the doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a one-time job, or will have to do this on a regular basis? If it's just this one time, you may have to manually edit each link in the document, but if it's something you have to do on a regular basis, or if there are too many links in your document, there are batch link editing plugins available that you can install in Acrobat to make this step easier. You could then for example export the links as an Excel spreadsheet and just edit the target pages there, then import that spreadsheet into the batch editor and be done with it in no time. I have not used any of these tools in a decade, so I am in no position to make any recommendations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to do this on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am now using a different tool to do this. I am disappointed that Adobe Acrobat does not support adding pages without changing the page numbering in a doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can submit an enhancement request here: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submitted. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked into Adobe Frame Maker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it by re-labeling the pages (for example, the pages you add can be labelled as i, ii and iii, followed by 1, 2, 3, etc., from the original file). However, the page numbers are fixed and correspond to the physical order of the pages in the file, and that can't be manipulated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am disappointed that Adobe Acrobat does not support adding pages without changing the page numbering in a doc."

Yes, but it makes sense since it is impossible to do otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How in living name do I even add a page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Organize Pages, insert a blank page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines