Highlighted

How to add pages to existing PDF without changing the page numbers?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an existing PDF that has a TOC and hyperlinks. I want to prepend 3 pages to the document. However, when I do that, all the page numbering changes and the TOC and hyperlinks from the original PDF are all off by 3 pages. How do I add the pages without changing the page numbering in the original document?

Topics

Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to add pages to existing PDF without changing the page numbers?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an existing PDF that has a TOC and hyperlinks. I want to prepend 3 pages to the document. However, when I do that, all the page numbering changes and the TOC and hyperlinks from the original PDF are all off by 3 pages. How do I add the pages without changing the page numbering in the original document?

Topics

Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot.

To be page numbering independant, TOC and hyperlinks must use "Destinations" instead of the page number or Go to view.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the pages to the end of document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, they have to go at the beginning of the doc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a one-time job, or will have to do this on a regular basis? If it's just this one time, you may have to manually edit each link in the document, but if it's something you have to do on a regular basis, or if there are too many links in your document, there are batch link editing plugins available that you can install in Acrobat to make this step easier. You could then for example export the links as an Excel spreadsheet and just edit the target pages there, then import that spreadsheet into the batch editor and be done with it in no time. I have not used any of these tools in a decade, so I am in no position to make any recommendations. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to do this on a regular basis.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am now using a different tool to do this. I am disappointed that Adobe Acrobat does not support adding pages without changing the page numbering in a doc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can submit an enhancement request here: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
mdougal LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submitted. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF