• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automatically group Bookmarks for Table and Figure captions in the Bookmark Pane?

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a PDF out of a Word document (like a report), the resulting Table title and Figure title bookmarks get created in the wrong place in the bookmark pane, intercalated between document sections and, even worse: with nested document subsections branching under them. How do I get Adobe Acrobat DC to automatically group all my Table titles and all my Figure titles, instead of me having to individually drag their bookmarks to under my "List of Tables" or "List of Figures" bookmark?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community, I see that there is no reply for this question and I am interested as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for reaching out.

As you are experiencing the same issue as above, could you please provide more details like:

1. How the PDF was created?

2. Does this issue occurs with some particular PDFs or with any PDF you create?

3. Share the Acrobat and OS version numbers that you are currently using.

It would be helpful if you can share a sample of the Word file and PDF created from that. So we can check that file at our end.

We will be waiting for your response.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bookmarks are generated in the order that the source elements appear. I don't think there is supposed to be any special grouping, and it is not generated from any table of contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what technique you are using, but in a general sense, the bookmarks are formulated from the styles used in your Word doc.  I'd start by exploring the styles in Word, and seeing if a Heading 3 is 'out in front' of a heading 2 type of scenario.  I'd do a save-as in Word, and start attacking from that angle.

If you're not using the PDF Maker (Acrobat ribbon in Word) to create the PDF, I'd strongly recommend it.  You can visit the Preferences on the ribbon and explore (and adjust) the styles & headings settings from Bookmark creation.

bookmarks_prefs.png

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is that there is a printed book style where, instead of tables and figures appearing in sequence in the table of contents, they are collected into "List of tables" and "List of figures" sections. Word has special tools to do this related to table of content generation. But this is pretty much irrelevant to PDF bookmark generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines