How to Convert PDF Photo of Newspaper Article

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I subscribe to Newspapers.com and am clipping newspaper articles and downloading them to my computer as a PDF file.  I then am trying to convert those PDFs to Word.  When I do that, I find that the word document is a photo image and I cannot edit the text.  How can I capture the text of the newspaper article into an editable Word document?  Need instructions.  See sample file below.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took a look at that website and noticed that it's carrying newspaper articles from way way way back. That's cool!

However, what they've done is to just post images saved into the PDF format such as you had as a link in your question. They were never made searchable and were never saved or altered to be searchable. They are simply images saved in the PDF format. I was easily able to make it searchable though because I have Acrobat Pro DC.

If you are using Adobe Reader, you cannot do this and will need to update your Acrobat application. If you are on Windows you can update to Acrobat or Acrobat Pro. If you are on a Mac, the only option is Acrobat Pro.

Please note that I do not work for Adobe, I, like most people in these forums are just folks with Acrobat experience and are willing to take time to help others out. I do not receive a commission for any sales, I'm just answering your question to the best of my ability.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your downloaded PDFs are graphics of the newspaper pages, not live editable text.

You can attempt to convert them to editable, searchable text with Acrobat's OCR tool, Scan & OCR. It will attempt to interpret the graphical text and give you something you can then export to an MS Word.docx.

And you'll need either Acrobat Pro and Standard to do this, not the free Reader.

1. Select Scan & OCR from the RIGHT toolbar, or top left Tools Tab.1. Select Scan & OCR from the RIGHT toolbar, or top left Tools Tab.

2. Select Recognize Text from top Tools.2. Select Recognize Text from top Tools.

Once the text is recognized (OCR'ed), you can now Save As / Save As Type = Word Document .docx and open the recovered text in MS Word.

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs |
Books & Classes | PubCom

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines