• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to determine the color of a background in a PDF

Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I have been asked to copy the design of an ad... I don't have the original artwork, but I do have an editable PDF (don't worry... it's the same company, they just can't find the original artwork... ). I am able to find the font and the color of the font, but I can't figure out how to determine the background color. I know I can open the file in Illustrator or Photoshop, but it got me to wondering if there's also a way to do this IN Acrobat. 

Thanks!

Julie

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use output preview but Photoshop is probably better. Note that PDF does not have an actual background colour, unless there's a graphic sitting behind everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that does make sense. When I opened up the file in Illustrator, the background was an image. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never never never open a "prepress PDF" with Illustrator !!!

It starts by screwing up all the color spaces in the document and then it gets worse: fonts, gradients, etc.

Preferably, in Acrobat Pro: select the background using the Edit tools and right-click on it: Edit with (Illustrator/Photoshop). Once you have made changes in Illustrator/Photoshop: Save > Close.

==> Changes are immediately reflected in Acrobat Pro without messing up the PDF document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's just about determining the color, use the Oputput Preview function as suggested by TSN above, you are looking for the "Object Inspector":

2020-10-16_14-41-42.png

This is part of the Print Production tools, and only available with Acrobat Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm not familiar with the "Object Inspector." I'll check it out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Karl. Is there a way to check the background color of an image?

MS Paint won't do it. All I have is Adobe Acrobat DC Pro & MS Word.

JD, 1-12-2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat will only tell you that you are looking at an image, and some of the image properties, but not what the pixel color value is. I would use Photoshop for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines