Highlighted

How to eliminate the account name display when an attached file is opened?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm republishing a document that was last published before the current user interface of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC was released. It needs to have a half-dozen attached files. I figured out how to attach a file (completely changed), but when I float the mouse pointer over the "attached file" icon in Adobe Reader it opens a balloon that shows my username along with the file's name.

For a file that is being published, exposing the author's username is completely inappropriate -- even more in a technical writing environment, where the author's realspace name doesn't even appear.

How do I get rid of this?

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to eliminate the account name display when an attached file is opened?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm republishing a document that was last published before the current user interface of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC was released. It needs to have a half-dozen attached files. I figured out how to attach a file (completely changed), but when I float the mouse pointer over the "attached file" icon in Adobe Reader it opens a balloon that shows my username along with the file's name.

For a file that is being published, exposing the author's username is completely inappropriate -- even more in a technical writing environment, where the author's realspace name doesn't even appear.

How do I get rid of this?

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does you attach the file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Could you please share a Screenshot or a sample PDF and a screen recording of the exact issue that you are facing while using Acrobat so that we can understand it better,

Thanks

Ayush Jain

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved a description of the process for future reference, since I could not find instructions on the Web that described the process comprehensibly and accurately:

1. Open the document in Acrobat Pro (not Acrobat Reader).
  2. Select Tools > Comment.
  3. Click the “Add new attachment” icon in the Comment toolbar (a paperclip with a plus sign). From the dropdown, select Attach File. The mouse pointer turns into a pushpin.
  4. Click the location where the first/next attachment is to go. (You can scroll if necessary). Acrobat opens an Add Attachment dialog.
  5. Select the file to be attached and click OK. Acrobat closes Add Attachment and opens a File Attachment Properties dialog.
  6. Select the icon to be used for this attachment. Set color and opacity as appropriate. Click OK. Acrobat inserts the icon, attaches the file to it, and closes the dialog.
  7. Click and drag the icon if its position needs adjustment.
  8. Return to step 3 for the next attachment.
  9. When you have defined all of the links, save and close the file.

Apparently I can't provide screen shots. When I include them I can't post this message; the server just displays a red box containing the message: "An Unexpected Error has occurred," repeated twice. I'll describe them: the first shows an instance of the attachment icon. The one I chose to use looks like a dark blue silhouette of a pushpin. The second shows what happens when I float the mouse pointer over the icon. The mouse pointer changes to an arrowhead that points to about 1 o'clock, and below it is a grey balloon that contains my username on an upper line and the filename on a lower line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every annotation has an author. Clearly, you need to make sure the annotation author is something you are comfortable with revealing. But why do you use a File Annotation instead of the Annotation palette (left tool bar)? Does the file need to be on a page, visible and clickable (that is an annotation)? Or does it need to be the attached file list?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comments can be easily anonymized, for example using this free tool I've created:

http://try67.blogspot.com/2008/11/acrobat-anonymize-comments.html

And by the way, nothing changed about how you attach a file to a PDF, you're probably just using a different tool.

You can still attach files by dropping them into the Attachments panel on the left, and then they won't contain your name at all, as they won't be comments, but actual attachments (or "data objects", to use the technical term).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name: By "annotation palette" I gather you mean the Attachments panel, which I can open by clicking the paper clip icon on the left edge of the window. That's the procedure I used to use, and documented carefully so that I could use it again. With Acrobat's new interface it does not work because after I have added a file to the list of attachments I need to attach it to a point in the document with controls that no longer exist. Presumably they have been replaced by something else, but I don't know what, and I can't find any instructions that explain it. I found various instructions that more or less explained use the commenting procedure that I'm now using. None of them were accurate, but by studying several of them I gleaned enough information to figure it out.

If the old procedure can be made to work with the new interface, that would be an ideal solution. If not, perhaps I can use the anonymizer that try67 suggested. It would make me depend on an unsupported external application controlled by someone with whom we have no contractual relationship, and that's far from ideal for our data security, but if it works right it will get the job done.

Finally, a word about the interface. You said it hasn't changed. With respect, that's poppycock. The whole thing has changed. When I got a new computer in January and had to install the current version of Acrobat, I had to learn to use it all over again. I'm still constantly frustrated by the toolbar down the right edge. It used to give the tools' names; now it just displays icons (I call them hieroglyphics) which are meaningless to me because I don't use that part of the program often enough to learn them. This is a step forward in style (what I believe is now called "user experience"), but it's a step backward in usability. Unfortunately promoting good looks at the expense of usability seems to be a universal software industry trend now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script is un-compiled and you can examine the source code of what it does before installing it using a plain-text editor. It's literally 5 lines of code... And once you download it I have no control over it whatsoever. I can assure you it's 100% safe to use. 

And yes, Acrobat's GUI changed a lot, but dropping a new attachment into the Attachments panel did not change that much since version 8, more or less.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find many that don't much care for the new interface, but it's what we have. Since you have decided to use the comments tool and add annotation comments, you control the author. The General tab, with Author, is right there every time you add or edit any comment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read several comments like "since you have decided to use the comments tool..." without explanation. If there is another way to attach a file, please explain it. After considerable research on the Web and considerable experimenting, this is the only way I have found.

try67's comment that "the script is un-compiled" would gain from some explanation too. What script? That was the first mention of a script in the thread. If some step in the attachment process I used is controlled by a script that I can change, that might offer a path to solving the problem.

However, I can't help believing that it would be an unnecessarily difficult path. The whole point of PDF format is to distribute composed documents that are platform independent, and so are accessible to the broadest possible range of users. In other words, to publish them. It may or may not be appropriate to expose my name with a published document (in this case it is not), but I can't imagine a situation in which it is appropriate to expose my username, any more than to expose the name of my cat.Thus I suspect that the procedure I'm using is intended for some purpose that I haven't even imagined, and somewhere in the program is hidden a procedure for attaching a document as I used to be able to. It has just been made very difficult to find.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read to the end of my reply I wrote:  The General tab, with Author, is right there every time you add or edit any comment. This seems a complete and simple solution to removing your author name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've explained exactly how to attach files without using the commenting tools. To reiterate:

You can still attach files by dropping them into the Attachments panel on the left, and then they won't contain your name at all, as they won't be comments, but actual attachments (or "data objects", to use the technical term).

The script in question is the one I linked to on my website that anonymizes comments.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying that. I did read your whole comment, but I didn't act on that part because it didn't make sense at the time. Actually it didn't make sense until I read your last reply and went through the steps of attaching a file again. Then it became clear what you meant by "the general tab."

try67, I've already explained why your explanation was not helpful; I don't see any point in explaining it again. In any case the problem is solved now, so there's no need to pursue this further.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 0