Highlighted

How to enforce required fields when the form is completed by clicking the signature

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I enforce my required fields when the form is completed?

Is there a way to have an alert pop up when there are required fields are blank when I click on the signature box, letting the user know what boxes still need to be completed before you can finalize the form by signing it.

Acrobat DC

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by gkaiseril | Adobe Community Professional

The "Required" field property is used to validate PDF forms submitted to a web page with scripting to process the form data, so it has no connection with the signature field unless you create that connection.

I would set the signature field to read only and hidden. I would create a button that runs a custom JavaScript to loop through all the fields on the form and test the value of the fields that have the "required" property set to true and track the fields whose value is equal to the default value of the field. If there any fields found where this condition is true then the form is not ready for signature. If none are found then unprotect the signature field.

TOPICS
PDF forms, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to enforce required fields when the form is completed by clicking the signature

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I enforce my required fields when the form is completed?

Is there a way to have an alert pop up when there are required fields are blank when I click on the signature box, letting the user know what boxes still need to be completed before you can finalize the form by signing it.

Acrobat DC

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by gkaiseril | Adobe Community Professional

The "Required" field property is used to validate PDF forms submitted to a web page with scripting to process the form data, so it has no connection with the signature field unless you create that connection.

I would set the signature field to read only and hidden. I would create a button that runs a custom JavaScript to loop through all the fields on the form and test the value of the fields that have the "required" property set to true and track the fields whose value is equal to the default value of the field. If there any fields found where this condition is true then the form is not ready for signature. If none are found then unprotect the signature field.

TOPICS
PDF forms, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 08, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can validate the required fields, but you can't prevent the user from signing the form, unless you hide the signature field and then use a script (triggered from a button, for example) to only show it if all the required fields are filled-in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make the signature field read only and have a button next to it that runs a script to check that the required fields have been completed and if they are completed the signature field becomes unlocked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you help show what code to use to enable this?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot!  I'll try your suggestion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2018 0
R.0D4E LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a tutorial how to make that? What button? And what would be the script. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0