• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix an issue within the Structural Parent Tree for Accessiblilty

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for help: My PDF passed the Acrobat Accessibilty test but is not passing the PAC3 test for the following reasons which all fall within the Structural Parent Tree Section under the basic requriements (ISO 32000-1):

- Entry for given MCID missing

- Inconsistent entry found

There are several errors for each of these problems and when you click on the individual item, such as entry for given "MCID" missing, it doesn't show where the problem is occuring in the document like it usually does. In other words, typically when you click on an issue is points to where the problem is occuring. In this case it is just blank. How can I get rid of this issue so that the document passes?

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

@Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com I'm having this issue and Preflight didn't fix it. As the OP stated, the Results in Detail pane doesn't show where the error is (screenshot attached). What can I do to locate the errors? This is a large document that passed all other criteria. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Can you please share the document with me so that I can provide a fix for the issue.

Thanks 

Rachit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you open the Results in Detail window in PAC 3? It's the top button in the lower left.

Only that windows takes you to the actual problem item.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have a fix for this issue? I'm having the same problem with som PDF's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into the Inconsistent Entry error a couple of times. After much trial and error, I think a found a fix - it is kinda goofy and I'm not sure it always works, but it worked for me both times. 

In the Page Thumbnails pane, select all the pages and Extract Pages as Seperate Files. Open the first page, then back in the Page Thumbnails pane, add all the other pages back in. Somehow deconstructing then reconstructing the PDF fixed the mystereous Inconsistent Entry error. 

Re. the "Entry for given MCID missing" error - I don't recall running into that one. Maybe cross your fingers and try this ...

• Tools - Print Production - Preflight.
  • Make sure Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles is selected in the Libraries window at the top
  • Select the "Make individual corrections" tool (the wrench icon).
  • Enter StructElem in the search field and carry out the correction "Insert missing Type entry in StructElem objects".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesss! I just ran into this for the first time. Thanks for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to extract the PDF into separate files. That will cause more problems with internal hyperlinks, cross references, tables of content, and the overall tag tree itself.

Just run the Preflight steps mentioned above.

But remember that this is a band-aid. Best to figure out what you're doing wrong in InDesign. Usually it stems from incorrectly threaded story frames, inconsistent use of Paragraph Styles, and basic poor construction methods in InDesign.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com I'm having this issue and Preflight didn't fix it. As the OP stated, the Results in Detail pane doesn't show where the error is (screenshot attached). What can I do to locate the errors? This is a large document that passed all other criteria. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are third-party tools that allow you to "Rebuild" the structural parent tree. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solid solution using Acrobat alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maxwithdax Is there a particular third-party tool that you recommend? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

axesPDF allows you to fix this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you point out how this can be fixed in axesPDF? with what tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the Logical Structure tab and click the Rebuild Structural Parent Tree button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my previous reasponse, in my case I re-did my work because it was a small report. If you you really want to avoid redoing it, what I would do is split the pdf in smaller sections and check those until you narrow down which section has the error, once you narrow it down to a manageable section I would extract the pages individually until I find which page has the error and then I would re-pdf that page and get it to pass ADA and then reinsert it into the main report and fix any issues that page replacement generate. Not ideal but depending on the document size it might be worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue as well. Wasn't able to figure out how to fix. Preflight was not fixing it. Axes wanted a $650 subscription.

My report was small enough (50 pages), I retraced my steps, the original PDF did not have this error, the only thing I had done diffrently was to use Preflight to address the Metadata error (XMP, another know Adobe issue, unable to fix it either because every time I try to append with xmp file Adobe crashes). The second time around I did not use the Preflight, fixed Metadata errors manually, the only disadvantage was that Preflight was previously fixing "Alternative description missing for an annotation" automatically, I ended up having to fix 80+ of those errors manually. I know it's not a solution, just sharing that Preflight is what caused it in my file to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask what extra data you are including in your XMP? just curious why people go that route rather than adjusting the properties in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the attached .xmp file that was recommend by Tagged PDF, they provided a link to download and it worked for a few years until Adobe decided to start crashing everytime I tried to append it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the old way to add the identifier. You can use the Preflight Fixup to add the identifier without the external XMP document. Print Production > Preflight > Set PDF/UA-1 entry.

maxwithdax_0-1689629160857.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines