• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to insert text into a sentence?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner at using Acrobat Pro DC, and I can't figure out how to insert a word or two into a sentence. For example, I need to change "Import image into the document" into "Import an image into the document". Do I have to create a sticky note and describe the needed change, or is there a simpler way to do this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been asked to review a document, returning the corrections to an author or designer?

Or are you trying to change a file directly, to be delivered to your readers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response. I'm editing a formatted document for
a publisher. The actual changes to the PDF will have to be made by an
employee of the publisher (typesetter?), who I assume will need to edit
the original source document and then re-convert it to a PDF. I'd like
to indicate changes as simply as possible (you can see I'm spoiled by
editing in Word), and ensure that even small changes are clearly visible
to the typesetter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT edit the original file. Add comments to indicate the desired changes and let the typesetter make the changes to the source document based on those comments, as you've said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE don't edit text if you are asked to review. Not for big changes or small, this is not what you are expected to do and could be disastrous. In the worst case the publisher will check for marked changes, find none, and assume you have approved everything - it will go to press uncorrected.

Let's take a step back to the world of paper. An author would be sent a printed version of what the publisher had typeset. The author would write on the paper in a very specific way, using special symbols meaning "insert text", "delete text" or "edit text". And this is exactly what you need to do with PDF, but using tools in Acrobat. Don't guess, don't try to make it easier for the publisher, do it in this one way only, because the process might actually be automated, and if you do it differently, your changes won't be seen.

https://www.smith.edu/its/tara/software/documents/AdobeCommentandMarkupTools.pdf is a useful file. But it also includes some tools you should not use. Go on page 2 to "Text editing" and read about "Delete text", "Replace text" and "Insert text". Use it for everything from a rewrite to a new full stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice; it makes sense. I'll go over my previous attempts and change them to easily seen comments. And thanks for the comment and markup PDF. I remember using those little arrow, circle, and stamp icons years ago, but I don't think they're available in the version of Acrobat Pro DC I'm using: "Continuous Release I Version 2012.001.20142".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All commenting tools that were available in the past are still available now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, try67. I've dug around and found those tools; they're ready to use now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very important to use those exact tools and no other. Don't try to improvise something else instead. Your edits may be lost. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines