• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to link files in Acrobat for others users on different computers.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I've never linked files and I don't know if and how it will work. My point is, I have a pdf file 
to be made with for example, embedded photos or vectors. I would like to link
them so that the client can open them in another editor (Photoshop, Illustrator). I have already
linked and checked that on my computer, it works . I can't send a file for a client with links that
don't work (this will be the end of the job). And since I have never done it and I have no way
to check it at the moment, I am asking you. 1. Will it work for other people on their computers? 2. Do I have to export anything extra? 3. Do I have to include a package with files? Thanks for the answer. Best regards

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

If the link is to an external file and you're not sending that file along with the PDF, then obviously it can't and won't work.

If you want it to work you have the following options:

- Send all files together, for example in a zip archive. Links created in Acrobat are relative, not absolute, so as long as the files remain in the same relative location to each other, the links will still work.

- Attach the linked-to files to the PDF and then create links pointing to those files. This is easy with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the link is to an external file and you're not sending that file along with the PDF, then obviously it can't and won't work.

If you want it to work you have the following options:

- Send all files together, for example in a zip archive. Links created in Acrobat are relative, not absolute, so as long as the files remain in the same relative location to each other, the links will still work.

- Attach the linked-to files to the PDF and then create links pointing to those files. This is easy with PDFs, but a bit more complicated with other file formats.

- Place the linked-to files on a web-server and create URL links that point to them. That way you would only need to distribute the one file and the rest will be available online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines