Highlighted

How to LINK two or more Text Field

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already asked once to get help with creating a link between two text fields (two fields created with a text tool) so that when text reached the end of one text field it will simply go into another. The given explanation was not specific enough. If you know how to do this and are willing to help, would you PLEASE give me SPECIFIC instructions, step-by-step on how this is done. Please do not assume that I have worked with the Adobe Acrobat program all my life. Thanks :)
TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to LINK two or more Text Field

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already asked once to get help with creating a link between two text fields (two fields created with a text tool) so that when text reached the end of one text field it will simply go into another. The given explanation was not specific enough. If you know how to do this and are willing to help, would you PLEASE give me SPECIFIC instructions, step-by-step on how this is done. Please do not assume that I have worked with the Adobe Acrobat program all my life. Thanks :)
TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2008 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to clarify a few things. First, are you talking about text form fields?

If so, are they single line or multiline fields? How, exactly do you want this to behave? For example, what if the end of the field is reached before a word is complete? Are you creating the form in Acrobat of LiveCycle Designer? Have you done any JavaScript programming in Acrobat or Designer? The more details you provide the better.

George

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2008 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George... thanks for your response. This is the information that I can give you. I am using Adobe Acrobat 7 to create my PDF documents. The fields are single line fields (I have several of these under one annother and I want to make sure that the text that comes to an end continues into the other field). If the text comes to an end before it can be completed, I want it to continue into the following line, automatically. The forms thta I have are created in Adobe Acrobt 7 by simply using a text field tool. I have not done any Java programming at all. It was my impression that this is a quite a normal task for which there should be a very simple solution within the tools that are already presnt in the program. Looking forward to your response!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2008 0
Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible, but I woudn't say it's a normal thing to do. The Acrobat JavaScript reference does have some sample code for just this situation:

// Move to next field when this one is full
if (event.fieldFull) {
getField("NameOfNextFieldGoesHere").setFocus();
}

This is intended to be placed as the custom Keystroke script for the first field. You'd have to replace "NameOfNextFieldGoesHere" in the code above with the actual name of the second field that you're using. The first field should be set up with a font size other than "Auto" and the "Scroll long text" property should be unchecked. It's also not perfect as is, but should get you started.

George

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2008 6
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me. I copied/pasted the code you have, and still I getting only one line that will not flow into the next text field.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/custom-format-script-go-to-new-line-when-full-utilizing-copy-...

If you still need advice, then please post your question to a new thread. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've got FirstName and LastName as two fields due to pre-filling in a form that integrates into my adobe pdf.

I want the two fields to look like this:

First Name space Last Name, whereas because they are two fields they currently look more like:

First Name space space space space....... Last Name.

I've tried this suggestion and cannot get it to work.  See screenshots attached.  Not sure what i've done wrong, but help1

Thanks in advance,

SaScreenshot 2020-07-02 11.16.45.pngScreenshot 2020-07-02 11.16.49.pngScreenshot 2020-07-02 11.17.32.pngScreenshot 2020-07-02 11.17.43.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an expert but I don't think that this javascript addresses your question exactly. I used this to have text flow from one text field to another in a multi-line, paragraph area of a form, when the text will go beyond the boundaries of the fields. In your case, you have two text boxes that will most likely never be completely full unless someone has a very long name. Can you use one text box for "name" instead of breaking it up into first and last?

Also, to troubleshoot if it's working, I would keep typing in the first box long enough until the text jumps into the second box automatically. If it does, then technically the JS worked, it just doesn't look as clean as you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the alignment on the first name to right justified. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George, Can you tell me please how I would go about applying the suggestion into the text field box. Would I go to Properties, Actions, and then what? I am a very average user of the program who just simply wants to make the text flow from one text field unto another, that's it. If you could give me specific instructions on how to do this that woudl be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2008 0
Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing you need to do is set up both text fields. Make a note of the name of the second text field.

You then need to add the code above to the Keystroke event of the first text box. To do that, open the field properties dialog, go to the "Format" tab, select "Custom" from the "Select format category" dropdown, click the "Edit" button next to the "Custom Keystroke Script" box, and enter the code given above. Be sure to use the name of your second field in place of the generic field name I used in the code.

Next, go to the "Options" tab and deselect the "Scroll long text" checkbox.

Next, go to the "Appearance" tab and select a font size other than "Auto".

That should do it.

George

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2008 6
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much George. This was immensely helpful and solved my problem. Your clear explanation/instructions are much appreciated and were spot on. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me too, thank you so much George!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was excellent. Thanx a heap!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! Thanks, George!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0