• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make Page Thumbnails open by default?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I change the default settings to ALWAYS display the Page Thumbnails/Navigation Pane and to NEVER display the Tools pane? I don't see an option in the Preferences.

Every single time I open a PDF I have to manually hide the Tools Pane and Show the Navigation Pane.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Hi All,

Acrobat & Reader January updates for DC Continuous (Build # 2015.023.20053), DC Classic (Build # 2015.006.30279) and 11.0.19 are now live.

In this Update we support keeping any Navigation pane pinned, i.e.  to open by default for all the documents in the LHP.

This is how you can try this out:

1) Launch any PDF and Expand the Panel that you want the acrobat to open by default for every document(For Ex. Page Thumbnails)

2) Right click on the LHP Navigation strip , Select the option from the con

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

This information were already posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC do you have? When you read through the previous comments, you'll see a reference to the "classic" version vs. the subscription version. If you are running "classic" 2015, then you will not have this feature. If you have the subscription version, make sure you are up to date with all updates. The fact that you do not see this menu item even with a brand new PDF file suggests that you are running the 2015 version with a perpetual license (meaning, not the subscription version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using subscription version 5.014.00011

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY!! THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For abbreviations, they should be explained the first time they appear. For example, "LHP" should be clarified to mean "Left Hand Pane."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this advice works for Acrobat Pro DC. The option to pin the thumbnails by Ctrl+RightClick the thumbnails icon opens a menu that does not contain that option although I do see that others do have the option in other versions. See below. Even if it worked, the route to get there is quite fantastically obscure. If anybody does find a solution I would love to hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I wish the Acrobat DC plugin (AddIn) for Word let you set a preference for this prior to creating the PDF, you should be able to set the PDF to open with Pages and document view once it's created.

1. Open the PDF
  2. Choose "File"
  3. Choose "Properties"
  4. Choose the "Initial View" tab
  5. Change the "Navigation tag" setting to "Pages Panel and Page"
  6. OK that Document Properties setting change and then save the PDF.

From that point the PDF should auto-open with Pages panel showing

[unless I misunderstand what you are asking]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah … I misread your issue. I am using Acrobat DC Pro, 2015 version patched with latest patches. Mine defaults to opening in the "Document" view, not Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same issue & this worked.. tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works but "LHP" was SUPER unclear to me. I tried so many things before seeing the comment here that explains it. Next time, just say "left hand panel" or include an image. 

I right-clicked on the "Pages" icon at the far left and then was able to select "Pin Page Thumbnails." Hope this helps.

andrewc74267665_0-1601315271941.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the "LHP"?? Loads of us are already confused, frustrated and don't want to be further confused by a strange acronym which isn't widely recognised. Please just write in an accessible way! I'm googling what this LHP thing is and it's really annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information were already posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an intentionally unhelpful reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open a PDF, Click F4 to open the thumbnail panel. Right click on the skinny panel to the left and click ‘pin thumbnails’.

Go to ‘edit’ > ‘preferences’ > check ‘restore last view’. Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes- thank you!! On a Mac - a "control-click" on "thumbnail icon" brings up the option to "un/pin page thumbnails". Easy, does it for all files. Great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree --- this is a very annoying to have to toggle through THREE Menus to simply sho Thumbnails... I liked the Old Acrobat better.

Please FIX --- thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agree, they supposed to make it easier but now it take more steps to get to it. Seem like the engineer has nothign to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Revert to the old interface! What is the problem?

The initial question is from 2015. There was no new interface.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines