Highlighted

How to set Adobe Reader as Default for PDFs in Windows 10 - NEW PROBLEM

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a NEW PROBLEM I could not see elsewhere in the forum.

I have both Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat Standard installed, but I want Adobe Reader (NOT Acrobat Standard) to be my default reader.

I set Reader to be the default in Windows 10 and it worked OK for a while.  But then one day a message came up in Adobe Reader saying that because Acrobat Standard is installed and has more features, Adobe will now open PDF files in Acrobat instead!   This is very annoying because I did not want it to do this, it was forced on me.   The whole reason I wanted to use reader is because Acorbat Standard is too unstable to tolerate, crashing daily.  I only want to use Acrobat Standard when I absolutely have to (e.g. to edit PDFs).

The situation now is that PDF files open in Acrobat Standard, even through Windows still thinks it is opening in Adobe Reader.  Changing the default in Windows makes NO DIFFERENCE.  What has Adobe done to Windows?   Even if I select the file directly in Windows and try to open with Adobe Reader, it still opens with Acrobat Standard. 

I have already tried disabling the useless Adobe bloatware Acro Tray and Adobe Collab Sync (why are these things needed anyway ?).  This made my PC quicker but has not solved the problem.  Adobe seems to have messed up Windows or the registry.

Because Adobe is so unstable, I have been opening PDFs in Chrome instead, which is both quicker and more stable (ridiculous given that Chrome is a browser and Adobe is supposed to be market leader at PDF).

Anyway, the simple question is how do I make PDF files open in Reader Again? 

Adobe - please think more about your customers.  We should not be having to ask questions like this in the year 2020!

THanks,

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to set Adobe Reader as Default for PDFs in Windows 10 - NEW PROBLEM

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a NEW PROBLEM I could not see elsewhere in the forum.

I have both Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat Standard installed, but I want Adobe Reader (NOT Acrobat Standard) to be my default reader.

I set Reader to be the default in Windows 10 and it worked OK for a while.  But then one day a message came up in Adobe Reader saying that because Acrobat Standard is installed and has more features, Adobe will now open PDF files in Acrobat instead!   This is very annoying because I did not want it to do this, it was forced on me.   The whole reason I wanted to use reader is because Acorbat Standard is too unstable to tolerate, crashing daily.  I only want to use Acrobat Standard when I absolutely have to (e.g. to edit PDFs).

The situation now is that PDF files open in Acrobat Standard, even through Windows still thinks it is opening in Adobe Reader.  Changing the default in Windows makes NO DIFFERENCE.  What has Adobe done to Windows?   Even if I select the file directly in Windows and try to open with Adobe Reader, it still opens with Acrobat Standard. 

I have already tried disabling the useless Adobe bloatware Acro Tray and Adobe Collab Sync (why are these things needed anyway ?).  This made my PC quicker but has not solved the problem.  Adobe seems to have messed up Windows or the registry.

Because Adobe is so unstable, I have been opening PDFs in Chrome instead, which is both quicker and more stable (ridiculous given that Chrome is a browser and Adobe is supposed to be market leader at PDF).

Anyway, the simple question is how do I make PDF files open in Reader Again? 

Adobe - please think more about your customers.  We should not be having to ask questions like this in the year 2020!

THanks,

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 20, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What versions are the two apps (Reader and Acrobat Standard)?

Why do you not ask about fixing Acrobat - it seems you just have accepted it does not behave well...?

If you remove Acrotray, then the Adobe PDF printer will not work; this is vital for some people.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
AndMcT LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Adobe Acrobat Standard is continuous version 20.012.20043.3217.  Reader is 2020.012.20048.

Regarding Acrotray, I disabled it at startup so it doesn't automatically startup everytime I startup my PC.  I would recommend this to anyone as it makes Startup quicker, and it can be re-enabled if and when it is actually needed.

Regarding getting Acrobat fixed, I have tried.  This thread has been sitting unresloved for 4 months now....

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/adobe-acrobat-keeps-crashing/m-p/11420555?page=1#M275689

I suspect the problem is caused by Adobe not being able to handle a slow network connection (I am working from home and using PDFs over network).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0